1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved KEENOVO Silicone Heater Upgrade - R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ender, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Ender

Ender Member

Hey guys,
    Recently I took a chip out of my bed and then put a crack straight through the middle of it. This means I was due for a new bed. I decided to upgrade the heater to a bigger one while I was at it, so I got the Keenovo 200x300mm 300W 12V heater from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/approx-thermistor-KEENOVO-Silicone-Printer/dp/B06WGR3BX9

To install, I cut the two power wire connectors off of the old heater and soldered each one to a white wire seen in the photo in the link above. I also cut the temperature sensor connector off and soldered it to the two red wires.

I plugged it all back in the way it was, and nothing happened. The bed would not heat. I swapped the two power wires for the heater and it worked! (even though I was pretty sure this wouldn't make a difference)

The bed heated up to 50 C and I printed some small mounts to hold the new slightly bigger bed magnets I got, But during the print the bed stopped maintaining the temperature.

I turned it off and tried it again but this time I just turned the bed temp on to 50 and left it there. After about an hour it stopped heating and now I am struggling on trying to get it to heat again.

Any ideas? Did I install it wrong? Do I need to install a solid state relay due to the 300 W? I was trying to find one that was more "plug and play".

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Robo can really only support about 140w bed directly powered from the RAMPS.
    (11amp is the limit from the RAMPS at 12v ... do the math -- 132watts)

You may have to replace the RAMPS board at this point if the bed heater MOSFET is damaged.

3. Ender

Ender Member

Is there a RAMPs board that can power this heater or is a solid state relay an absolute must?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All RAMPS boards have the same specifications as far as current.
    You will need to drive that via a relay if you do not want to overload the RAMPS.

The Robo power supply is not going to be able to support that extra wattage either I suspect.
    You may need to boost to a higher wattage supply as well. The Robo supply is 12v 30a (360w) so base your calculations off of that.
    IIRC the last time I looked at this (long time ago) the free overhead for the stock power supply was less than 100w, but that is just what I think I remember :) Someone else might have better numbers (there are some older threads on here that go into that sort of stuff). With LEDs and the like that have been added since the early R1 days I imagine there is less free wattage than before...

5. Ender

Ender Member

Yeah I found some older threads on this, but all of the answers seem to be all over the place.

I have read about people using heaters with higher watts (700W) just using a relay and tapping directly off of the power supply with no problems.

But I have also read what you just said, there isn’t much free wattage for an upgrade in heater watts.

Seems contradictory?

Is there a video on doing this upgrade? I am more of a visual learner.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not a chance. There are precious few videos of any upgrades.

I can assure you that you will not get 700w out of the stock power supply for longer than an instant :)
    If you attach a heater that really pulls that much you will get something to smoke (a fuse or the power supply).

Most people who did the type of modification you are describing used a SSR to turn the power on and off via the RAMPS output and a stand-alone 12v power supply to power the heater.

7. Ender

Ender Member

Is there a thread/guide you would recommend for doing exactly that?
    I have an idea of how the wiring works based on a few threads I have found but not enough to do the mod.

I think I have a spare 12v laptop charger laying around. I should be able to use that?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the 12v supply you have has enough wattage to power the heater then you are good.
    As for the mod... all you really need to do is to take the 12vdc output from the RAMPS that goes to the bed heater now and use it to power the coil of a 12vdc SSR. Then the contacts of that relay will turn the external 12v supply on/off to the bed (it needs to interrupt one side of the 12v line from the external supply to the bed).

This thread describes most of it: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...nstalling-ssr-pid-control-instructions.17512/

Only difference is that the thread may still be using the internal supply, but switching that to an external is easy enough. Just use an external power supply through the relay contacts.

9. Ender

Ender Member

After reading the thread I have decided to go with this PSU:

https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Uni...rd_wg=gdxxM&psc=1&refRID=SGY9VBX1HVMBHW83QGM1

And this SSR:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753R568W?th=1

If you see something wrong with these components please let me know!

$100 dollars later and the bed will be fixed/upgraded. Cracking a bed is expensive!

Now i just hope the mirror glass I got from Lowes won't crack under 110C....

Note: I will change the status of the thread once I get all the parts installed.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those are fine and as fast (or slow) as the bed heaters heat the glass and the temperatures involved ... borosilicate glass is not a requirement. Plate glass is fine (and far less expensive).

Just plan on using that PSU just for the bed heater... not for the Robo and you should be OK.

11. Ender

Ender Member

i got everything installed and at first the bed would not heat up, I swapped the two wires coming out of the RAMPS and it worked.

I started running the PID tuning. The bed got up to 90C and the mirror glass from Lowes Shattered! Not sure how people were saying this was working for them, it didn't even last 1 minute for me.

I am going to try and get my hands on some tempered glass tomorrow. But changing out beds is going to be difficult with that 3M adhesion pad...

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nobody else is using a 700w heater. That will heat quick enough that you might have those sorts of issues. Plate would be better than a mirror...

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

When I upgraded my bed heater in the R1 I went with a 300W. I did not place the heater directly under glass, but rather had a 1/4" aluminum plate cut to match the dimensions of the original bed then placed a single sheet of float glass (what is used for picture frames and single pane glazing) on top so that I wasn't building directly on the aluminum bed.

You might want to consider modifying the Robo firmware to use PID control of the bed temperature rather than the default Bang-bang method of heating the bed. I don't really know if that would help but I think the severe increase in temperature is what caused your glass bed to shatter.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Ender

Ender Member

While I do appreciate the replies, it seems like neither one of you read my comments.

I am using a 300W heater at 12V and the glass shattered while running the PID cycle to enable the PID control in the firmware......

I found some borosilicate glass on amazon for 30 bucks. I shouldn’t have to worry about this happening again right?

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Sometimes small details get lost in the multitude of words written in a thread.

Even at 300W if you just used thin float glass I can see where it would still shatter. The reason that glass only beds are usually borosilicate glass is that it is more stable thermally than float glass. Issues with borosilicate is that it chips rather easily with too much bed adhesion (as when using PETG). My suggestion is only use the float glass as a build plate or use much thicker glass than you can get at your local home improvement store. Using Aluminum plate as a bed would be your solution if thicker
    glass is not a viable option.

Even the best silicone heaters do not heat evenly, they have embedded elements arranged in some sort of linear manner that heats outward, so some sort of heat spreader will help to avoid hot spots. It is those hot spots that cause the glass to heat in irregular patterns. Glass is an insulator and the hot spots resulting from the heater elements in direct contact with the glass will cause thermal expansion to happen at different rates. That is likely what caused the shattering.

When I did my heater upgrade I used a piece of aluminum plate cut to size, I purchased from Midwest Steel and Aluminum which turned out to be cheaper than buying from Amazon as well as most other online metal dealers and I could get it in the exact size I needed

#15 WheresWaldo, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  16. Ender

Ender Member

Hmm I wish those details about normal glass not working when in direct contact with the heater was more evident before I tried it. Read some many threads where people said it worked fine for them. Oh well.

The new borosilicate bed is 6mm thick, hopefully I shouldn’t have to worry. I print ABS a lot and need that 110C bed temp.

So how come float glass can work when it is clipped down to another surface but not in direct contact with the heater?

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

See my additional added paragraph, it has to do with hot spots. That is why you need some kind of heat spreader. You will still have hot spots even though you may be using borosilicate glass, it is just that it is more thermally stable so reacts differently under even localized heating.

18. Ender

Ender Member

I guess i assumed the heater would heat evenly. Thanks for the info!

You got me thinking. I have read a lot about glass vs aluminum bed, but it sounds like the best set up is not one or the other, but a combination of the two! Maybe this has already been said, but is buried deep in threads.

I wonder how thin(to keep the bed light) of aluminum I could use as just a way of spreading the heat evenly, this will also help to extend the reach of the heater. Hmmm

Could a rectangular baking pan cut to size work? You can find those cheap at garage sales or goodwill.

An then top it off with 6mm glass and you will have the best heated bed you can get.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, you do not need 1/4" aluminum :) I can attest to that.
    probably 1/8" or 3/32" would be fine.
    A baking pan is probably good enough

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am pretty sure I went 3/16" from Midwest Steel then some cheap glass at Lowes cut to size and four spring clips from a bag of them I got at the Dollar Store