1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Large Three-Jaw Chuck Project (any tips on removing support material?)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Shawn Godwin, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Shawn Godwin

Shawn Godwin New Member

I decided that I was going to re-learn/practice Solidworks by designing, and eventually printing and casting the parts for a lathe. I tackled the three-jaw chuck first figuring it would be the hardest part/s to design and print. The first part I have printed is the front face plate. Faceplate.PNG
    three Jaw Chuck.PNG
    And after 16hrs 55min...
    20140815_185506.jpg 20140815_185519.jpg 20140815_185511.jpg
    But breaking out the support material took its toll on my hands as well as the part. Two of the corners broke off along with the support material. This is my first time not only printing a very large object such as this but using this much support material. 20140815_185543.jpg
    Over all I am very happy with how it turned out! This was only a test piece so I am not to worried about the minor damage, and the experience showed me I need to re-design it and print it as in two parts, but does anyone have any tips on support material settings or removing support material from small areas like this?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One of the selling points for Simplify3D (for us) was the way the support material just quickly and easily came right off (no special settings needed--just enable support).

Most of the slicers were OK on support (except Cura, that one makes bricks last times I tried it) but nothing to brag about, but that one rocks.

Nicely done, BTW. Did you manually add your own support with Solidworks or have a slicer generate them?

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

needle files are useful for small areas like that.

4. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Nice print. Yup a nice needle file set can be picked up pretty cheap and helps a lot.
    Also, I learned early on when I was using blue tape, if you soak the piece for a couple minutes in cool-warmish water, the tape peels right off clean. Saves a lot of scraping and cleaning. You could soak that one still and the tape would come off with just a fingernail, or I found the little teeth on a butter knife scrapes well too after soaking.

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

When designing, just add your own support into the model and make it so it's thin enough to break off easily.

6. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I tried using Cura and it has a great feature call Touch Build Plate. It puts support in as need and it's really easy to remove. Try and see it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada