1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Last layers incomplete for part of model

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric Viglotti, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

Hello,

Of all my attempts to print over the last year or more with my R2 and R1+, I have never seen this (attached). I wasn't able to watch it print as it printed overnight, but it's as if the last 20 or 30 layers were totally jacked up, but only for part of the model. I would think this would happen if the filament got stuck or something, but part of the model is absolutely perfect from layer 1 through the end and the other piece is missing perimeter, infill and is just a mess. This is PLA, 200/60 degrees and using 0.2 layer height and Simplify 3D.

No rush, but anyone see this type of thing? So odd...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Could be a clog. PLA occasionally gets microclogs and they usually clear, but that is the nature of that filament. you can season the nozzle or add an oiler to help avoid that.

I have not seen one wait that long to happen, but maybe you were lucky :)

3. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

That's sort of what I was thinking initially, but why would that happen in that many layers in the same spot (but not the other parts of that same layer). I would think that if it was a clog, it would clog for that whole layer and not repeatedly in the same general x/y area layer after layer. So odd...

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

So here's an interesting observation...The part that was a disaster was in the rear-right of the part. However, the lower layers, including the infamous first layer, was perfect, great bed adhesion, super perfect. However, it wasn't only until say layer 500 or something where the rear-right section of the remaining layers got all jacked up. But what was a perfectly level bed printing the first layer before is messed up and now the nozzle is too close to the bed back there when I try my next print. Is there a chance that the bed went out of level somehow midprint yielding this mess? It's the only reason I can think of as to why the bed was perfectly level before this print and is out of level now after this jacked up print.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That does not look like a leveling or out of kilter issue. It looks like to stopped extruding.

7. Eric Viglotti

Eric Viglotti Member

This one might be user error I'm afraid :( I have my printer in a closet with an angled ceiling and I think I had it too close to the ceiling whereby the ribbon that goes into the extruder would rub up against the ceiling when printing stuff in the back right corner. At least I think that's what it is. Anyway, thanks for all the tips as they are helpful nonetheless!

mark tomlinson likes this.