1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Layer Alignment

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ammulder, Feb 6, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The layer lines could be over extrusion. Make sure you calibrated the extruder.
    Robo tier-2 probably doesn't work weekends...(a guess)

Good luck whichever way you go.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@ammulder This is why you bought your printer from a reseller, and MicroCenter, I hear (wished we had one in Charlotte) is a very good one. Since these are being sold as an appliance you should expect them to work as an appliance. I know others will say this is a new design and there may be growing pains, but Robo isn't a new company and they need to be better at both design (hardware and software) and quality control. Independent testing would have been more appropriate that having a bunch of people whose job was dependent on 'getting it sold' doing all the testing.

The bulk of the tweaks/fixes that make the R1+Plus the good printer it is today came from the community and was incubated over time. The marketing was different and you got a lot of tinkerers and hobbyists that bought and played and fought with it. I understand the need to broaden your customer base with a more plug and play solution, at the same time you need the tinkerers and hobbyists to also 'buy in' so that all support is not hanging on the ability of the Robo to provide it.

It isn't just Robo, if there is any printer you buy and it does not deliver on the promises made, especially marketed as "image it and print it", it may be time to look at another or wait until such time as there is sufficient user base that wants to tweak/fix all the little niggles that will irk you during your entire ownership period.

Not having seen a C2 in person I simply don't know if you got a bum one or if it may be something systemic, but there is no reason to suffer when you plunk down your cash.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. ammulder

ammulder Member

I think I was referred to "tier 2" on Wednesday... I haven't heard a peep since (not even, like, a confirmation that it was in a tier 2 queue). The e-mails I sent to their support I think I've gotten one response to three in week, but this was someone on the phone who said "I will send this case to tier 2 and they will get back to you." Not so much. I had higher hopes when people referred to scheduling a Skype with an engineer, but maybe those were the good ol' days?

Anyway. I did calibrate the extruder, using the video provided earlier. It emitted 99cm when set to 100mm, which seemed close enough (within the margin of error of the ruler I was using, anyway).

I appreciate the help and suggestions you both have provided, even without having the same model on hand. If nothing else, I've continued to learn about 3D printing and printer tuning. :) It's also really helpful to have hands-on experience with another model, just so I have a larger base of experience to draw on, even if I end up returning it. It was my first experience with OctoPrint too. So, not all bad, but I wish the end was different.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can schedule a skype with support, but it wouldn't likely help until you were in contact with a second tier support person :)
    In the "good old days" all you could do was email them (took me 6 months to get a response on my first ever issue). So yea, they have made improvements...

A few times people from the forums have done this as well to assist folks, but sadly at this point I do not think any of the more senior forum members even have a C2 to look at ...

Sounds more like you have a hardware problem (loose drive component) so returning it is the best option. I was hopeful the QA issues would be sorted with the newer ones, but in your case it is certainly not.