1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Layer Resolution

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tompeel1, Mar 5, 2014.

1. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

So... I just noticed on Teseracts signature his accomplishments were getting a 10,25 and 50 micron print, this has interested me for a while now as im pretty happy with my set-up at the moment and see that being one improvement for the near but not to near future...

I can Imagine its a combo of all of the bellow but i wondered if it meant better stepper motors, change of Ramps/Marlin, different rods etc...

Though it would throw it out ot the forum to see where the current limitations are and what extent of surgery would be required to upgrade to the next level!?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

My 2 biggest complaint with the robo design are the y axis drawer slides and the z threaded rod.

The drawer slides should ideally be replaced with linear rails as they're working on. Or slides for linear motion, but those are more expensive.

The z threaded rods should be replaced with a M8-1mm threaded rod. That'll give you nice even steps per mm.

Though you should know tessarect was printing at 10micron with none of these improvements.

3. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

That answers the question i forgot to ask which was did he even do it on a Robo... Yes... thanks Mike I hope Teseract has some answers for us!

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

5. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

So, what is the actual machines limit now, i mean there must be a layer height or x y limit according to the steppermoters and the extruder nozzel/material used.
    -What is the minimum x y displacement that can be done with microstemming.
    - what is the minimum displacement for the z axis
    - what would be the limit on minimum layer height with the stock 0.4 nozzle

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't know the exact limitations but currently the steps per mm on the z axis is set to 2269.472 steps per mm so if a command of 226.9472 steps were given to the z motor it would cause an increase of .1mm and 22.69472 would be .01mm. 2.269472 should move it .001mm and those are full steps adding in microsteps gives even finer resolution adjustments. The decimal portion of the required move is converted to the microsteps allowing you to get the high resolution. The 2269 full steps does not quite get you the full mm so the .472 steps converted to microsteps gets you the rest of the way.

Since the threads are a contiguous analog pathway the digitial signal will cause a minimum to exist but with the microstepping the incremental value will be fixed but the movement would be the step + microstep distance if large and simply the microstep distance (or multiples ) if small

One thing to note is that when describing resolution it is I think it is usually based on the vertical axis only as in layer height so as far as I know the x y displacements are not figured in.

The diameter of the nozzle is an x y plane and would nothing to do with the layer height

The smaller nozzle will make edges more precise and would be affected more by the step sizes of the x y stepper motors
    but the layer height is based on the z axis and the extruder is set to fill the volume of space denoted by the area of the nozzle and the layer height so a volume of say .1 x .1x .01 for 10 micron with a .1 nozzle or .4 x .4 x .01 for 10 micron with a .4 nozzle

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

FYI, the latest firmware changes the X,Y,Z and extruder steps/unit constants. Y is now 2267.72 for whatever it's worth.

See the configuration.h file:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38} // default steps per unit

(I changed the extruder value to 753 to compensate for my grooved hobbed bolt which has a smaller effective diameter.)

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I was simply using the version I had on my ROBO with the z setting Ihad in my Config.h I have significant other changes due to my dual extruder setup so changing firmware is a bit trickier for me to get all the changes since I have changes not incorporated in the released version I have changes in X and Y and the extruder and the Z

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Oops - Sorry, I Z is now 2267.72 . I can imagine that you have a lot of changes with that setup!

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

* I meant Z is now 2267.72 .