1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Layer Shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by TheKoopaGaming, Feb 24, 2017.

1. TheKoopaGaming

TheKoopaGaming New Member

Hello Forum! You have been very helpful in the past so I hope you can help now!
    Ever since I did a little maintenance on my printer (nothing drastic, just the heated bed came unplugged from the RAMPS board), I have been having some problems. I have been having a "layer shifting" problem when I try to print anywhere other than right in the center of the bed. I have attached an image showing what I mean. I'm thinking it has to do with some sort of calibration because whenever starting the bed leveling and sometimes during the prints, it will make a random grinding noise. Hope I can find an answer!

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That sounds is a belt skipping. Usually because whatever it is moving (the bed, the extruder, etc) can't move any further in the direction it is trying to go.

That will cause layer shifts. So will loose drive bits (like a loose belt or a loose drive cog on a motor shaft).

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Which way was it on the bed ? That will help you narrow down what mechanical bits you need to look at ( x or y).