1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Laywoo Wood Filament - NOT for newbies like me!

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Terry Reilley, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Learned valuable lessons today as I used Laywoo for the first time:

1. Breaks VERY easily, resulting in my first lesson on how to clear the print nozzle.

2. Depending on the vendor, doesn't ship on a reel. I printed that fancy universal filament spool that was recommended for Laywoo, but the filament fights the spool.

3. DON'T use hairspray on your print bed for this stuff. My print was interrupted due to broken filament and when I tried to scrape off the layer that was on the bed, it wouldn't come up. I had to fight it with a metal scraper and finally got it all off. I'm guessing painter's tape is the way to go with this filament, not that I am in the slightest bit interested in using this filament again. My wife will be disappointed since I was going to print her an Apple Watch charging station. Sigh...

So, any wise words from the experts on this filament - or a more newbie-friendly filament that looks like wood OTHER than just brown PLA?

2. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the coil that was sent to me was broken in three places. Grrrr....

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

First off, where did you purchase from? Second, are you trying to print with the standard 0.4 mm nozzle? Most of these types of filaments really work better with 0.6 or 0.8 mm nozzle sizes as they can jam easily with anything smaller.

robert sanchez likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a bad vendor (a cheap one?) and yes, I have had that as well with some I tried.

The real Laywood looks, feels, smells, sands and stains .. .just like wood. It is just not as cheap as some of the others (but, this is why).

Yes, even the real stuff is brittle. Not that brittle, but don't leave it in the feed to the extruder overnight -- it will break :)

I always buy the specialty stuff from known, good quality sources or brand names (like Laywood,
    Zen Toolworks, ColorFab, etc.)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and @WheresWaldo is dead on. The wood filament want a larger nozzle. Can you print it with a 0.4? Yes, but it may clog.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I asked William @ INTSERVO about eSUN's wood filament. Their site says PVA based not PLA, so I asked for clarification and a typical application scenario. They are out of stock, but it may be a good alternative. Only issue I have is 0.5 Kg spools (not my favorite size to purchase), although I have no idea what I would do with 2.2 pounds of wood filled filament!

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

hello,
    I ordered bamboo filament from printed solid. I'm sure it will be awesome (I am using a .4 nozzle OEM for ROBO). I'll let you know after it comes in.

I currently use the "wood" filament from hatchbox. I have had ok turnouts with hatchbox but I would suggest talking to Printed Solid about options.

As far as printing with the hatchbox goes it gives good results but because (like mark and Waldo said) it wants to jam. My "workaround" is to prehead the head and bed, apply hair spray, then load the filament extrude 100mm of it ( I know its wasteful but what ya gonna do) then immediately print. DO NOT leave it in the head when the print is done. It seems to cool and "expand" causing the jams the others are warning about. When I get home I'll upload a picture or 2 of things I've printed in wood.

With that being said...I have printed for hours with it but you cannot really stain it but it does trim and sand down pretty ok. Every time I've used it prior to immediately removing the filament after print it jams. So the way I use it works but is VERY wasteful.

I hope this helps!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm upgrading to the E3DV6 and having larger nozzles on hand. I'll look at those though. Thank you!

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So here is the main difference between a genuine E3D nozzle and all the Chinese offerings. Some time ago E3D changed the angle of the inside bore, a normal drill bit has a 120° angle to the tip and that is what the Chinese use. The E3D has a steeper angle. Does it make any difference? E3D says it does. In my own experience I have never noticed a difference while printing. So now I just buy 5 or 10 packs of whatever Chinese nozzle size I want and then never have issues and replacement nozzles for years. or hours if I am using abrasive filaments like carbon nanofiber filled.

Same for the Volcano nozzles.

11. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I purchased it from MakerGeeks.com. I was thinking of returning it, but not able to find a return policy on their website. But then I was in a hurry since I'm working. I kinda doubt they will take it back but I'd sure love to send it. *** Update - I found the return information and have already asked for an RMA! ***

I printed using the stock 0.4mm nozzle. I didn't have any problems printing. The filament snapped due to the un-spooled state and I had to fish out the inch or so of filament that was stuck past the gear wheel. Luckily there was enough to grab with my pointy reverse tweezers.

#11 Terry Reilley, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  12. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I should mention that I used hairspray on the heated bed (55C) and had no problems with the print sticking. In fact, it was exactly the opposite - I couldn't get the two layers that printed before the filament snapped up from the bed and it took about 30 minutes to scrape and peel it all up. Painter's tape will be my friend here.

13. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

I have high interest in the ColorFab and EasyWood options, but Laywood has made me it's bitch today.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

interesting on the E3D nozzle. I think I'll get both :D. Will the nozzles for the E3D (or J head) work on the hexagon stock?

Terry Reilley, I have the colorfabb trans green and it is amazing in comparison to my hatchbox colors. Just prints much nicer (more expensive and less per roll so I'll use hatchbox for my "junk prints" still), I'll post how the bamboo does but I imagine it will be awesome.

I liked how well my colorfabb prints that I have 3 other spools coming after the first use ! :D.. huge difference in the better quality more expensive filament then the cheap stuff! :D

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

E3D nozzles will work on a hexagon, the reverse is not true.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you!