1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

lcd/ printer freezing up after I connect to computer

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Patrick Ryan, May 4, 2017.

1. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section or troubleshooting. I uploaded the new release for marlin 1.1 mesh. Everything loaded fine and the printer functions fine from the lcd by itself but I am unable to run the PID autotune.i have tried switching cables, reloading firmware, clearing all other ports on my computer and closing any unnecessary programs. any ideas or is this just a bug in the new firmware?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I'll try this as soon as I get a chance, but in the meantime change one line in Configuration_adv.h
    Code:
    #define DOGM_SPI_DELAY_US 7

to this
    Code:
    #define DOGM_SPI_DELAY_US 10

3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I just tried that and got the same result. And to be more precise when it happens, it isn't when I plug the usb in but when I connect to my printer with the slicer. It also doesn't matter what slicer I use either.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Patrick Ryan I think you actually found a bug, I cannot reconnect after the initial connection unless I unplug the USB cable and reinsert it. Take you video and open a new issue on GITHUB here, https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues

Explain in as much detail as possible what you did and how it locks up. As soon as I get a chance (probably a couple of hours from now) I will figure out what is happening with mine and I will add my results to the open issue.

I am not using a laptop but rather OctoPi and itseems that it does not disconnect from the Arduino cleanly so then it cannot reconnect no matter how hard you try. That is until you completely power down the printer.

5. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I will do that on my lunch break, thanks @WheresWaldo

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Actually just add to this already opened issue https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/6586

I will do the same but in the mean time I am going to pull the files until the developers decide how to proceed. Apparently there is now a 1.1.0-Bugfix branch that already has a fix but I don't want to clutter up the 1.1.0 thread with bugfix builds.

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Seems like there needs to be a discussion among the Marlin developers on how they want to handle this. It is apparent they did no regression testing. I don't think testing is high on any of their priorities. As soon as they fix 1.1.0 Release I will get new files posted.

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

<Snort/> reg-what?
    LOL
    Thanks for chasing this.

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

If you want to PID tune in Marlin just run a gcode file with this in it (remove the parentheses and use values where appropriate):

Code:
    M303 S(whatever temp you want to tune to) C5 (test 5 times and report average) U1 (tag that tells Marlin whether to use the results; 0 = no, 1 = yes)
    M500 (save the PID above to EEPROM)
    For reference, see here:

http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M303.html

Patrick Ryan and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you don't include the E parameter it only PID tunes the hotend. So for completeness and since I enabled PIDBEDTEMP you need two M303 commands one for E0 (hotend) then the other for E-1 (bed).

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  11. daniel871

Ah, I ignored PIDBEDTEMP because it used to give errors on RC versions of Marlin when I still had a Robo and was trying to get it to work.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck with the bed :)
    I have had about a 40% fail rate on that. The bed heaters are slow enough response that some printers the PID tune will fail.

13. daniel871

I wonder if adding a Mosfet between the stock heater and PSU like what people do for the Maker Select V2.1 would make it faster to respond.

I've got mine on DeadTime heat management instead of PID and it's pretty solid on both the hotend and bed (+/-0.4C on each), but I may change it back and try again.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Funny I never had issues with PID tuning the bed, but since then the Robo heater is long gone as well as the power supply and I have a larger heater with a larger PSU and an SSR, PID tuning the bed keeps the bed stable +- <1°C

15. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Well lucky for me, I guess, I had to replace my bed because it shattered so I have an aluminum bed with a ac powered bed heater. I assume PID tuning should work even though I am running through a ssr?

16. daniel871

Yep. I would imagine the delay is so small that it won't matter in terms of the PID tuning values.

mark tomlinson likes this.