1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD screen in the UK

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by David Waldron, Feb 1, 2018.

1. David Waldron

David Waldron New Member

Hi all just got my Robo 3d r1+, i think, just wanted to know what screen i can use in the UK, also the 3D printer hasn't got a SD card slot can i add one.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All of them have an SD card reader. It is hidden on the base of the printer.
    Turn it on the side and look carefully :)

3. David Waldron

David Waldron New Member

I have looked but i cant see anything.

Attached Files:

4. David Waldron

David Waldron New Member

Also can somebody tell me what this is and why it was added to the heat bed.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you buy that machine new? Seeing as how there are couplers on the z rod and a ... not stock... heatbed that is NOT a R1+ machine. The SD reader (if still there) is located on the right side of the printer if your looking at the machines "ROBO" lettering.

That last picture is showing someones the heater pad, but it is not stock to any R1+ machine I've seen. There is always an insulation to keep the heat "up". I would also recommend not running the bed with the wires routed the way they are, I have seen people have alot of issues with that.

Please supply more information about the machine and where it came from so we can help you without giving you wrong information.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That printer looks like it was at one time an R1 then modified. The SD card was removed as it should have been plugged into the bottom right corner of the RAMPS board. The lead screws are threaded rods so it is likely an 8 mm version of the R1, notice the nuts on the threaded rods. This is from just looking at the pictures.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, and that is a second generation R1 bed (but not an R1+) it also has threaded rods and couplers so certainly not an R1+ :)
    Someone also removed the SD card reader.

8. David Waldron

David Waldron New Member

I got it second hand from a Polish bloke who said he had it from China, he also showed me the printer working and printed off a little 3mm scale church building.
    This is the first 3D printer i have ever had so not really up to date with the connections etc.
    Can i add a SD card reader?
    What does 8mm version mean?
    Again thanks for the help.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes its called a LCD Controller. Check amazon UK. I'm in the US so not familiar with where you would shop around to find the best deal. There are 2. If the machine has stock firmware the XXL Controller is plug and play. The Full graphic controller does require a firmware change but there are threads dedicated to that in the mods and upgrades. Read through the forum and you'll likely find answers to everything from the whats hows and whys and you can of course ask questions.

8mm is referring to the threaded rods that your machine has. (the Z axis). At least you know it is a working machine. As it sits , if he showed it working, you should be able to use it printing via USB but make sure your computer DOES NOT go to sleep or powersaving mode.

10. David Waldron

David Waldron New Member

I have read about them on here but didn't know which one i could get in the UK.
    I paid £200 for the printer is that a reasonable price?

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

bit on the high side IMO but thats stateside and our Us dollar exchange is ...not great. I think new they go on sale around 399.00 or something US. Not sure there are resellers in your area though? Colorfabb in the UK but I dont know if they sell the R1+ model or not.