1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Left Z-axis motor seems to have stopped

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 4sfaloth, May 27, 2019.

1. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hi everyone,

The other day my R1+ stopped mid-print, like it had aborted the print; everything stopped moving and it just stood there until I turned it off.

Then, when I turned it back on and ordered the Z-motor to go up I noticed only the right side is actually moving. In the link below you can see a short video of this happening

What could cause this and what should I do? Do I need a new motor?

Thanks in advance!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

To check if the motor is bad, swap the wiring plugged between the two Z motors. If the right side stops and the left is moving then you probably have a broke wire. it the left still doesn't move after the swap, it is a bad motor.

3. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Thank you for your fast reponse WheresWaldo
    What you said makes a lot of sense, but how can I access those connectors? Is there any video guide or something? I suppose they are underneath the bottom floor of the printer?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Underneath the bottom, and it will be obvious when you take the bottom off. The cables just plug in.

5. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

I've been looking into the easiest way to remove the bottom to check those cables (I really do not want to disassemble anything more than strictly necessary...)
    If you could please take a look at this video below, would you say that is the easiest way to get to those cables? Basically he drops the printer on its front and unscrews the bottom from the outside. Mine is a R1+, not sure if that makes any difference

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to remove the 4 screws on the bottom.
    The fan attached to the bottom has a rather short cable connecting it to the RAMPS board so if you are not careful that can get unplugged (not a crisis).

7. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

alright, thank you both for your guidance! I'll disassemble and switch the motor cables and see how it behaves

8. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Ok so I finally found the time (didn't want to do this in a rush during the week :p) to remove the bottom cover. Unfortunately I was unable to switch the cables because the one closer to the board was rather short.

What I did is: unplug both cables on the motor end only and plug the longest one on the other motor. So basically I connected the cable from the left motor (which was not working) into the right motor, and the left motor stayed disconnected.
    Like this neither motor moves! Does this mean it is just probably a faulty cable, or is there some SW/HW check that detects one of the motors is disconnected and prevents the other from moving?

Hope I was clear enough in my description

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While the cable is a possibility it is more likely the driver board (one of the tiny ones on the RAMPS itself) that actually is the current driver for that stepper. Stepper Driver boards they are called :) You can get them for cheap (here is an example -- not a recommendation for this supplier* -- https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQR93QC) . Those are cheap enough that it would be the first thing I swap.

This diagram shows you which ones driver which motors (R1+ ramps board)

*there are a lot of sellers on Amazon for this type of item. You want the A4988 one to match stock

Robo3D R1 +Plus Ramps Board (labeled).jpg

10. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

thanks. What you say makes sense, particularly because the cable does not seem to have any visible damage on it.
    I guess swapping that would be even easier than the cables. The Stepper Driver Boards are just plugged in, right? No soldering or anything required?

What if I swapped both driver boards and see if the other motor starts working (basically same test I had planned but swapping the board instead of the cable)? That way I should be able to confirm if the board is indeed the problem?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The entire "chain" of possible problems goes from the Arduino MgeaYes, they are just plugged in to the RAMPS board. Just be careful extracting them (and pay attention to the orientation).

Yes, good way to test it. Bear in mind that not all of the steppers will want the same amount of current to step accurately so swap two that are doing similar "jobs" (like X and Y or the two Z drivers). The "weak" stepper driver may have enough current to drive one that is not working as hard.

12. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

I ended up not swapping the driver boards because they were much harder to disconnect, and the one labeled "Z motor 1" on your picture seemed clearly damaged, so I just removed that one and am going to order another one.
    Can you confirm that "Z motor 1" corresponds to the damaged motor (left one when looking from front)? The link below has pictures of the damaged motor board, as well as of what I mean by "left Z-axis" (to avoid any confusion :p).

PS: the heatsink for the driver board came off while trying to take it out; the rest of the damages visible were already there

https://imgur.com/a/gDdfO6r

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Z motors (1 & 2) are the Z axis on the Robo and they have each one to a different stepper driver (this is not helpful because the Z axis can easily drive 2 Z steppers on threaded rods). I can't say which one of the drivers corresponds to which stepper (sorry). You have a dead one so that is most likely THE bad one. Hopefully the damage is constrained to the stepper driver and does not extend to the RAMPS.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have no idea why Robo thought that using two Z stepper drivers was a good thing given that there were dropping connectors off of the board to save pennies -- you would expect them to avoid using extra electronics that were not needed :)

15. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

ok, thanks a lot for all the help!

One last question before I close this. I have some spare driver boards here at home from a RAMPS that I had bought (but never really used) when I was experimenting with another printer. Is there any way (a marking or something) that I can verify if they are the model I need? I put some pictures in attachment, but I can't find any marking stating A4988 on them

Attached Files:

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks OK, but without actually seeing which chip is on it can't be certain if those are A4988 or DRV8825 -- but I bet they are the A4988 since those are the most common. Can't hurt to try :) The A4988 would be on the chip itself (under the heat sink) so really not feasible to tell.

#16 mark tomlinson, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  17. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

ok so unfortunately my last tests only left me more confused.

I have confirmed through visual inspection that the non-functional motor was the one connected to the damaged driver board.
    I also found a new board here which did not yet have the heatsink attached, so I was able to confirm it was an A4988. I plugged the heatsink into it (apparently it just glues into it) and swapped it in place of the damaged driver board -> motor still not working.
    As I can't switch the motor cables since one is very short, what I did is connect the cable coming from the new driver board into the working motor -> neither motor works. What does this mean? :\
    I guess it can be a faulty cable... but like you said it doesn't seem likely. I fear it may be the RAMPs board itself that is damaged... What I was thinking next was to swap the cables that connect the driver board to the motor on the RAMPs boards' end. That way I could exclude a cable issue... What do you think?

Once again, thanks for all the help so far!

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

excellent!

Even better :)

Exactly.

Well probably the driver is not set for a high enough current level OR it is defective.
    If you want to experiment I can get you the instructions on how to adjust the driver current output (require a multimeter and time) but usually (since they are <$2 each) I just swap in a new driver card.

Nope. It can be -- but is unlikely.

Yes it could certainly be the RAMPS like I mentioned earlier ... sometimes when you totally smoke a driver board the RAM{PS can get damaged. Not always, but possible. I would suggest if you can afford it then get one of the all-in-one kits from Amazon and swap the driver card first, but since it includes everything you will also have RAMPS and an Arduino board if one of those is defective as well.

Here is a couple of examples, there are several vendors on Amazon that sell this:

https://smile.amazon.com/kuman-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Starter/dp/B016D6DSBW
    https://smile.amazon.com/Printer-Controller-Kit-Arduino-Upgraded/dp/B019TNELNU
    https://smile.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

I have had much better luck with parts from the all-in-one kits...

19. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

I've finally managed to get the printer up & running again, thank you so much for all your help!
    I just replaced the driver board for a third one I had lying around (I had actually bought a full RAMPS kits a while ago when 'playing' with a DIY printer kit) and everything started working correctly. You really saved me a lot of time & money so thanks again

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.