1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Linear Rod Bed Upgrade kit's in Oz

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kevyn Watkins, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how many of us are looking to get the bed upgrade kit when they release it?

I've already done my own linear rod upgrade but I'll still get the Robo kit as the finished product should look pretty neat.

Maybe if a few of us are getting it we could have them all sent in a single package and distribute them locally, could reduce the postage a bit. A single kit was estimated at costing over $50 to ship to WA, I'd assume similar to here in QLD.

I'm also wondering if anyone has found a decent supplier for Metric threaded rods, I've set my z layer height accordingly for the imperial rods but it'd still be nice to run Metric threads.

2. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Also, as posted HERE I want to get a new Middle Plate cut for my printer (I've modified mine for my Linear Rods and I'd like a new clean one). Would any one else like a quote on getting one as well?

3. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Mates'. I have been offline for a while with personal issues but trying to get back on my 'horse' (read printer) and update myself. I have had to replace my laptop and so load printing software: I downloaded from the Repetier site and now struggling with Slic3r rejects? Any thoughts? MatterControl has appeared as an addon- yet to get my head around what it is yet. Y axis upgrades seems to be on the go. IS there an Aust. list or just go direct to R3D? Any other gems of info newly relevant and a pointer to them would be much appreciated. Ta. Rick

4. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Welcome Back Rick, with reference to the software issue, I haven't used MatterControl yet and didn't even know that Robo were linking to it till just now. I use the RepetierHost bundle they had up or Cura. I'm liking Cura a fair bit now but it does take a bit to get used to the differences.

The Y Axis upgrades are stalled until Robo announce them. For now you can either wait on them or go ahead with your own upgrade.

5. Saxon

Saxon New Member

I ordered the axis kit upgrade through Robo3D also ordered a space HPB at the same time, at the time of inquiry the lead was approximately 4 weeks, that was about 2 weeks ago. Will see what happens.

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Mike is going to release his linear rod upgrade soon which is what I'm going to use. I ordered some M8 threaded rods from bilbycnc but they were bowed 1-2mm and they weren't interested is supplying straight ones, not very impressed. I ordered M8 stainless coupler nuts from fasteners galore via ebay, $9 each, so I can do Mike's the auto bed level compensation upgrade as well. Check out Ziggy's z axis guide before upgrading your rods too.

7. Saxon

Saxon New Member

Yeah I ordered some stuff from bilbycnc. Yesterday. I have to say, I really dont like the site layout, not to mention its somewhat lacking in product info. Did you end up getting straight M8 threaded rod and where from?

8. Galaxius

I spent a few hours trying to straighten them. Got them much better, within 0.3mm I think. I'm still deciding weather i use them or source others. There's a local Alloy & Stainless shop here so might get a couple lengths cut and see how it compares. I use 3dprintergear.com.au for filament and Jamie's excellent, great costumer service and products. Let me know how you go, I hope you have a better experience.

9. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Maate! I am keen as any to update with the Linear rod bed thingy. I do not mind economising with bulk purchasing/shipment/delivery as long as we do our homework before hand and KNOW costs in total because none of us want the pain of several months ago of surprise duty charges (due to the volume of printers shipped at one time). Has anyone been supplied the shipment cost for one unit to Aust. from R3D?

Whatever works tis good as long as it works, if you get my drift.
    cheers
    Rick

10. Galaxius

I think it's about $50 shipping. I've bought all the parts and will be printing Mike's y carriage instead of buying the kit. I'm pretty sure my 3mm heated bed will be nice and flat when it's mounted to the new y carriage. The kit form Robo includes a new 4mm heated bed.

11. Saxon

Saxon New Member

60USD

Edit: Sorry for my blunt post but I was at work on my phone. It is about $60 USD shipping via DHL, maybe the Robo3D guys can find someone who will ship cheaper but slower for a large order, also remember that anything over $1000AUD you have to pay import duties on. See http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp for more info.

However I love the group buy idea though I already paid for mine and would have it sooner rather then later :)

Good Luck

#11 Saxon, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  12. Galaxius

@Saxon, thanks. That's why I decided to print the upgrade, I have a 3D printer for that lol. If it turns out that I can't get it to print correctly then I'll order it but at US$170 for the bed and shipping I think that'll cover me for a few spools of filament and I'm sure Mike's model is top notch. The only thing that might let me down is my original 3mm heated bed. It'll be fun anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Sorry all, but my impaitence ran me over and i ordered mine just now - usd190 inclusive of a fixed usd 65 and a few cents for UPS delivery, o u c h! In general i stopped buying out of the usa for this very reason - exorbitant freight charges - it most definitely is not R3D being greedy. I do not know whether it is taxed or monopolised or like itunes pricing - high because we Aussies are all millionaires, but postal charges sting. If it was not for the love of my R3D printer...............

I am much happier buying out of China directly with some risk (and would for this if I could) than being @#$% by USA postal service.
    ooops I am getting grumpy.
    I look forward to my new toy parts v.soon. :eek::oops:
    Happy printing. :):)