1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Looking at my first printer..

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robert albrecht, Dec 24, 2018.

1. robert albrecht

I want to get into 3d printing. I do a lot of cosplay and I think a 3d printer would be very helpful.I am looking at the R1+ A few of my fellow cosplayers all have Robo's and love them. I know they go for about 400 USD but I am seeing them on ebay "brand new" for about 250. (USD) Is there anything I should look for or ask the seller to make sure what I am getting is legit. Also is the R1 a decent printer for somebody that as never touched one before?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Since Robo stopped regular production of them they occasionally offer refurbished units (with a bit of a warranty) for around $350 so use that as a yardstick for price comparisons if you like.

From a technical perspective it is a fine starter printer. Not terribly complex to setup, tune, work with or troubleshoot. It has quite decent specs out of the box stock and can be easily adapted for large or tiny components. Since you mentioned Cosplay -- If you are always printing larger parts you probably want to consider some upgrades at some point (like an E3D volcano adapter to make printing of large parts faster). The provided 0.4 mm nozzle is standard on most desktop machines as well.

3. robert albrecht

Thanks for the reply... Gonna order one today. (Xmas present to my self lol)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Drop back in once you get it going and if you need help we can probably get you sorted.

Geof likes this.
  5. robert albrecht

I have my printer on the way.. Should be here tomorrow. I am looking on adding a few things. I am looking at adding a rasberry pi with wifi. This way I don't have to keep my laptop next to it at all times. a web camera. ( I should be able to check on any prints from any where correct?) Then I also want to add a smart LCD screen if I just want to print directly from an SD card. . with this modifications can I remotely start a print?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can print directly from the SD card already in the machine without adding an LCD, but having the LCD is better :)
    OctoPrint can be used remotely (although the wisdom of doing that when really remote is questionable -- accidents happen) if you are planning to do that at least add a smoke detector that can shut off the printer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1103474 you know, just in case :)

7. robert albrecht

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on doing any real remote printing until I have a pretty good grasp on this. (but it is something I am thinking about for the future.. Octo print will be the software that actually controls the printer correct? This is what will be loaded onto the raspberry pi. Then I control it through a web browser... The reason being is I will have my printer set up in the garage and my lap top is in my living room.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yep octoprint will be the happy factor for that set up. Fire up your computer, turn on the printer if its not, load the gcode files and press print :D printer takes off with you sipping on your favorite drink in the living room :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

...watching it occasionally on the camera ;)