1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Looking for the best generic extruder Robo R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nicole Dubois, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi,
    I am looking for the best generic extruder for my 2 Robo R1. I have used in the past the extruders suggested by Robo but I keep on having issues.

Can someone help me.... I need theses extruder for yesterday LOL.
    Nicole

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by "generic" depending on which R1 you have (beta/R1/R1+) the ones that will fit as direct replacements (no modifications needed) are different. Most R1 models used the Hexagon so another hexagon (which you can buy from Amazon or other places) will fit. There may be minor differences with the quick-disconnects so you may have to do a little wiring work. There are a lot of other extruders you can use with slight modifications, but those modification vary by which type of printer you actually have.

3. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi Mark,

I usuly buy the extruder directly from Robo but I keep on having issues. For 2 Robo R1 I have used 6 extrudes!
    Is there a part number if I what to buy from Amazon^

Thank you
    Nicole

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which printer exactly do you have? Is it the beta? The R1 or the R1+?

It is getting harder to find the generic 12v hexagon Robo used. It may be worth considering investing the effort in converting to an E3D or just get a cheap Chinese clone and hope it works :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is the one used for the R1 and R1+ (but again the quick disconnects are not the same)

https://smile.amazon.com/RepRapDiscount-Hexagon-Hotend-Heater-Cartridge/dp/B00W4AICQ8

It may be worth considering the extra steps needed to just convert to something like the more widely used E3D:

https://www.printedsolid.com/products/e3d-hot-end-kit-v6

If you have an actual R1 (not the beta and not the R1+) the instructions are here:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/e3d-v6-information-and-installation-guide.17598/

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The reason we need to know specifically which printer model you have is that while those three models LOOK almost identical they are not :)

7. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

I have 2 Robo R1. I got them at the begining for January 2015.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then the generic hexagon will fit fine (the wiring may need connectors inserted or replaced).
    The thread I linked on the E3D should be exactly how that is replaced on the R1 if you go that route.