1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Looking to get dual printer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by colton81, May 4, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

what dual printer would you recommend. The cheaper the better for me im only wanting dual capabilities just to print PVA supports thats about it. I want a big print area as well and would like wifi but i could do with out.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you see my thread on converting the C2 to dual?
    Not a trivial task and just getting one designed for it is probably a better move.
    Going to be expensive if you want it large.

I personally just cad around needing one 90% of the time and with the way Simplify3D generates supports I don't need water soluble ones.

@Geof can make some specific recommendations (on printers he has actually used). Suggestions by folks not actually using one are not as useful :)

3. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yes i did im wanting to do that as well but mainly want a bigger build platform. If only there was a easy way to hack up the C2 to make it bigger..

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You could build a custom plate that mounted on the poles and was larger. There is room to make it a little bit larger, but if you want a lot bigger then you really need a larger printer.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've used the raise 3d, UM3 and sigma. I own the sigma (bought before the raise and the UM3 came out). My sigma prints PVA beautifully (ESUN). None of these machines are "large" printers to me but in my personal opinion the only dual extruder machines worth it are the UM3 and the Sigma R17 (my sigma is upgraded to the R17). I like the sigma's IDEX system personally, which is what won me over.

I have successfully made a dual extruder with a single nozzle (promethius system that I abondoned off my robo due to not being able to use S3D) and old school 2 hotend carriage machines. frankly my opinion is to buy a machine built to do it.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Sounds like you want an R2 with the 2nd extruder... Didn't hear about the option again BTW :\

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The R2 having 2 hotends on one carriage is in my opinion a few years outdated and a poor execution of dual extrusion, likely the reason why its not a dual extruder machine from the factory. Material contamination, ooze shields, prime towers bleh. There are better options out there for dual extrusion.

as a single extruder machine I'm sure its fantastic.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Only way to really rock at dual extrusion.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats my opinion as well :D. Not without its issues but mechanically superior. Software is getting there.

12. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea i was looking at the sigma alot of good reviews about it and i love the dual extruders instead of the two hotends in one. I think i moght go with that one. I like the looks of the R2 out of all of them(yes i know its a printer not a piece of art) but i like to display all my tech or at least make it look good. The sigma is an alright looking machine but i have heard the interface was really nice on it. But from what i understand you have to use s3d with it you cant use cura? I like cura due to how simple it is.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

BCN has their own cura for the sigma

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Pft, just get the Prusa MK2 and drop $300 on their multi-material upgrade pre-order, because that looks like it'll cover just about everything at the budget level.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The MK2 multicolor cant do dual extrusion, just multiple colors. :D

16. daniel871

With priming towers there's no real reason it can't, technically. It just greatly increases the print time.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

:D if you say so lol. I still see it as a useful upgrade for prototypes and the such, but not as a multimaterial kit. Extruder takes to long to cool down and heat up.

18. daniel871

It functions pretty much exactly the same way as the prometheus multi-material project (and the laughably more expensive Palette), so the cool down/heatup bit shouldn't be an issue (especially when the support materials for a complimentary filament run fairly close in temperature to the filament it is paired with).

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

promethius isn't multi material :D pla/pla or abs/abs. Multi extrusion, not multi material. Same issue. Pallete is the same way. Color change only, anything else is ineffective and "unsupported" lol

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ex. would be promethius system. I actually asked about that and there is no temperature control other then what you set it at in the slicer (per layer or overall). You can run PVA/PLA etc etc but the temps have to be similar. When I was running it even different brands pla ran togather didn't give the best results. Same brand PLA/PLA is recommended. PLA PVA does work yes, but not PLA/ABS and the such. Or Flex and XT etc etc. to wildly different.

Others use may vary but I use multimaterial exactly as it states. PLA/Flex, XT/PLA, Flex/Ngen etc etc. wildly different flow characteristics to where two extruders in my opinion is really the only way. Still sticking with 2 colors has its real world applications (think of a cutaway mechanical device using drive train as red, case blue or the such)