1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Looking to get dual printer

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by colton81, May 4, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I never have two materials with the same close range. Often same materials may be different enough I wouldnt want the same settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I'm not invested in it enough to keep arguing about it (because multi-color/material is still a gimmick to me, also I'm having the same argument in the Facebook 3d printing group I'm in where someone is arguing that the Palette is actually worth the money they want for it), but it goes back to that marketing vs. reality thing.

It is "technically" possible to use the Prometheus/Prusa multi-material systems for multi-material prints. It would just take a lot of careful tool change scripting & multiple processes in Simplify3d and hilariously long print times to do it.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want to do things right get two independent extruders.
    :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. And if I had a job that required 4 colors...I'd buy a Pallete. It does work, seen it first hand. But like I said...I'd have to have a job that required it otherwise I'd just spend that money on more capacity single color :D

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea that would be usable on ANY FDM printer. You would just need to add a second extruder and then configure the filament change script (at least in Simplify3D it is done that way)

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

S3d ddoesn'toesbt play nice with those. Same issue i had with the promethius. Retractions arnt set up for sual extrusion in s3d. Nightmare.