1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved loosing connection, cant print from sd card

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fredm, Jun 29, 2016.

1. fredm

fredm Member

Just got the printer today.

I noticed after printng I can no longer move the assembly up (or any other direction for that matter.) to easily clean off residual filament.

I tried dis connecting and reconnecting. but it didnt help. I had to shut down the program and restart.

any ideas whats going on ?

Next I tried to print from the sd card.
    I followed the video instruction. but after starting the print I hit disconnect and the print stopped.

dont know what I am doing wrong. I did notice the sd card slot looks a little out of wack ( for lack of a better term)
    very hard to insert and remove. not sure it is making proper connections see pic.

any help or advice is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello. What slicer are you using ? What printer do you have ?

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I find it odd that the bottom plate is bulging around the SD slot. I am assuming you are using MatterControl and you have an R1+ since you just got it. You are able to start a print just fine. So that can't be a bad cable. At the end of a print it should raise up several mm and then go to x home and y home unless you have changed the end gcode within the slicer. So you should have room to clean off with the tweezers any nozzle boogers. Of course the motors might not being disabled at the end of the print. Are you manually trying to move by hand or using the software?

4. fredm

fredm Member

Matter control, robo 3dr1+
    Trying to use the software to move the assembly. Worked before print but not after.

Not being able to print from the sd car is really bothering me.
    I am hoping the machines sd card slot is not defective.
    Started to read another post about renaming the file. But i am getting tired. The video didnt mention that at all.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

After the print the steppers are engaged. You wont be able to move then until you exit out of the print menu (i think) its been forever since i used matter control.

@danzca6 has a good point that the bottom cover shouldnt look the way it does. I suggest removing the bottom cover and looking at the sd slot and wiring. May be loose. Mind the fan when you go to remove the bottom cover, its a very short wire for that fan. If your going to print via sd i recommend getting a sd lcd controller. Check out www.printedsolid.com

He has a great selection of 3d printing gear and is also a member/volunteer staff here. @Printed Solid

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably not,but if it is then easy to swap (very small card off to itself).
    Warranty item. Out of warranty I would just add an LCD Controller... cheap and comes with a full size SD card slot built-in.

Geof likes this.
  7. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Following along, I'm new and had the same issue with printing from the sd card. I sent off to tech support and I got the following reply. I have yet to try it (other things going on) but I'll share in case it helps:

MAY 25, 2016 | 12:09PM PDT
    Vanessa replied:

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Robo 3D!

Instructions for SD card printing
    You just need to slice the STL and save the Gcode on the micro SD while it’s in your computer. You can do this from View > Export >Export as GCode. Then place the SD into the printer while it’s connected to Matter Control. Go to Queue Options and select Load SD Files. After that you should see the Gcode files come up in your Queue. Now you can select one and start printing. At this point you can unplug the printer USB cable and it should continue to print until finished.

You can also see this demonstrated in our getting started video starting at the 7:10 mark. Please watch this here:

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you,

Vanessa

Vanessa Franco
    Robo3D Inc

Geof and danzca6 like this.
  8. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

9. jhenager1

jhenager1 Member

Looks like an assembly problem My card reader has those 'ears' on the top. (180 degrees rotated). It is pretty easy to take the bottom plate off and check, and correct if necessary. Just be careful when tipping the Robo over, because the bed and print carriage will flop around and you could end up with an additional problem.
    Inserting the SD card is a bit tricky even when the reader is setup right. I have to use the handle end of the supplied tweezers to get it to 'click' into place. Same with removing it. I concur that a LCD screen is a better option because it is easier to reach the card slot.
    Make sure to rename your file "auto0.g" after exporting to the card. Check your filament and move your print bed all the way back and the extruder all the way to the left, and power the printer on. Should start heating and printing.