1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

M565 value

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WZ9V, Apr 15, 2016.

1. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

My printer says it's using -0.7 for M565 and that seems to work.

I've checked MatterControl setup and I don't see an M565 in the start g-code, I also don't see anything -0.7 in a M503 dump of the EEPROM.

In the source I see
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER .9

It looks like it's stored in EEPROM and just not displayed with M503?

I would have expected it to be the Z value of M206

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

MatterControl is in it's own world when it comes to things like that. If you did not modify the firmware, I doubt it is in EEPROM, I don't think any variation of Marlin from Robo had it enabled. It is probably in the printer definition.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I'll check again when I get home but I'm pretty sure the source in the zip file I referenced has EEPROM enabled. It also defaults probe to -0.9, I'll power up the printer and without going into MC check the value in Pronterface which I know is not configured to set M565.

If it does work as I think it does it explains why they reworked it in v1.1.0 because it's working entirely different than other stuff that requires M500 to save into EEPROM after its value is set. What you described in the V1.1.0 thread is how that stuff is supposed to work. You can override but unless you issue a M500 it will not be saved and revert back to saved values on next reset.

4. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Just verified on a clean bootup (no MatterContol) M565-0.7, it is saved to EEPROM but M503 does not display it.

EEPROM is enabled in the Robo configuration.h at least in The R1+ file in support.

//define this to enable EEPROM support
    #define EEPROM_SETTINGS

That would make M565 the only setting I know of that automatically updates EEPROM instead of waiting for M500 to do it.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just so you know. M565 is a kludge of some sort. It is not supposed to be supported according to the Wiki page and verified by some of the Marlin developers. It has been supplanted in 1.1.0 with M851 Zn.nn if you are using ABL and by G29 S4 Zn.nn if you are using MBL

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yes I saw that discussion in the new version thread. If I didn't already have too many experiments on my plate I'd compile and give that one a shot but for once I think I'll just wait till it goes stable first.