1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Make sure that you lubricate your hotend.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BrooklynBay, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

As I was using a lot of PLA to print various things, I've noticed that the print layers started to show gaps. I didn't think that it was an issue until filament started to intermittently bind in the hotend. Sometimes it was so bad that it would air print in the middle of a long print, and I had to start the print from the beginning. I gave the filament a shot of WD-40, and it started to print very well again without any adhesion issues or gaps between layers. I saw some oilers on Thingiverse which run PLA through an oily cotton ball but haven't tried that. Another time I've used wire pulling lubricant which worked for a very long time. I'll see how long the WD-40 lubricant lasts since it's very thin, and will probably evaporate faster than a thicker lubricant. One person suggested using cotton seed oil in the cotton ball.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

WD40 is not the appropriate lubricant to season the nozzle. Any good vegetable oil is. See the thread on seasoning :)
    The idea is not for the oil to 'lubricate' the nozzle, but for it to flash away and leave a non-stick residue,. If you have ever seasoned a cast-iron fry pan, exact same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.