1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Manual leveling on Robo R1 Beta?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bastian, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Hi,

I'm new to 3D printing and recently acquired a secondhand Robo R1 Beta (according to what the seller told me).

I started playing around and my first print is really off (around 1mm per layer).

Now I'm looking into leveling the bed to fix the issue, however, since the beta seems to be the only one to not have auto-leveling, I have a hard time finding any info. I understood the general concept applied to other printers but (and I feel bad saying this), I don't seems to find the screws/bolts or whatever I'm supposed to use to go through the leveling process.

Subsidiary question:
    - Is there a way to determine for sure if I have a R1 beta or a R1? Since I will need to be certain before going through firmware upgrades.

Thank you for reading this and I hope this question hasn't been asked already (I haven't been able to find answers to those questions... But I might be 4 years late!)

Best Regards,
    Bastian

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

best way to know is measure the z screws. Upload some photos of your machine? I'm assuming you didn't purchase this new and are just now playing with it so go in thinking someone may have done upgrades etc to it. to manually level the bed you need to phsyically shim the bed. Some do it under the pillow blocks (if you lift the bed you see blocks the rods go through - there) or some do it between the magnets under the bed and y frame rail. Totally up to you.

3. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Hi Geof,

Thank you for your answer! Okay, It seems a bit trickier than for other printers, I guess I was looking for screws at the four corners. Would you be able to redirect me to some tutorials with pictures? Just to find out what to fiddle with? I have a better idea, but pictures make everything easier!

Here are some pictures. I think the only upgrade was a heating bed.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks again for your help!

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there,
    I don’t actually know of any pictures or formal instructions to be honest. The pictures aren’t showing up for me.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A picture of the bed and Z rods where they meet the bed. Link to an external site if you need to.
    If it really is a beta then you DO have 4 screws one in each corner to level the bed manually. I added springs under the plate between the plate and the rail to help leveling (with the screw down the center of the spring ).

Geof likes this.
  6. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Hi,

Sorry for the pictures. I started creating links to host the pictures, and I couldn't post. Ended up using the embedded image attaching feature and it didn't seem to work.

I had another look. It seems that I do have 4 screws, though they are not quite in the four corners, more like at the end of each rail. I have little holders for the glass bed that cover them. Now they seem to be surrounded by white "tubes" and there is no spring so it might complicate the process.

I will try to play around with those and see how it goes!

Thank you for your help guys :)

Bastian

Geof likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Replace the plastic tube with springs, there are replacement glass holders on thingiverse that you can use to help get access to the screws. I attached the STL for you.

Forgot the mirror image version for other side now attached

Attached Files:

#7 mark tomlinson, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  9. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Hi,

Cool, I'll try to print that. I'm really not happy with the glass holders I currently have anyway. The bed is moving all over the place when the printer fills up tiny areas and hence shakes a lot. That makes most prints fail badly.

I'll check where I can get springs and will print the tube thingy. Hopefully this will make the process easier. I still haven't leveled anything, and the simple prints come out decent (and I'm still messing around with settings anyway and printing with 2 years old open PLA that was given with the printer...)

Thanks again for your valuable insights :)

Bastian

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is not a perfect solution, but it will work pretty good. I still have one with that arrangement that I have not upgraded the bed on yet. It works nicely once you get it leveled. If you do upgrade the firmware and switches to support autoleveling (that takes a little bit of wiring and relocating one and adding another z switch) then you effectively have an R1

11. Bastian

Bastian New Member

Those are basically the bed clips I have. Unfortunately, they don't work well (Or they are not installed properly). Thank you though :)

Is there a detail of the upgrades needed somewhere for auto bed levelling?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#12 mark tomlinson, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018