1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOAQUIN PICCI

JOAQUIN PICCI Member

Would someone send me link of the latest firmware for Robo R1 with autolevel (BLUE LEDS) ?

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Here is where the latest official firmwares are, make sure to pick the right one for the "Old Robo R1" with the right size threaded rods.

http://guide.robo3d.com/Wiki/ROBO_3D_Firmware_Release_Notes

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can debug Arduino code with the new version of VS. It is not simple to configure, but it does work. (mostly)

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

UPDATE:

RC5 was released a couple of hours ago, I will work on a set of configuration files and upload them sometime on Saturday or Sunday.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC5 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC5 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC5_R1_8mm is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC5_R1Plus is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC5_R1_TR8-8 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Auto-Bed-Leveling enabled
    5. SD Card support
    6. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#285 WheresWaldo, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are the configuration files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RC5 on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and overwrite the appropriate files within the Marlin subdirectory.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download the current RC5 zip file from https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/archive/RC.zip
    2. Extract the contents to your HDD
    3. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RC5_R1_8mm_MESH is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RC5_R1Plus_MESH is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RC5_R1_TR8-8_MESH is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    4. Overwrite the files in the Marlin subdirectory
    5. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE
    6. Clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    7. Re-enter you Z axis offset using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. SD Card support
    7. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB.

#286 WheresWaldo, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  7. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

WOW that was quick .Why did they even bother with a RC4. Any bugs yet with rc5?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Give them a few days to add some :)

(they don't really 'get' the release candidate thing)

9. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Cant complain .They do awesome hard work . I kinda feel like they should start from scratch on a new version . They've learned a ton since they started and when trying to modify outdated code eventually its becomes all disorganized are jumbled up. I think it would be easier rewriting from scratch with some kind of organized and standardized coding style. Its like when youve been running windows on the same pc over years and eventually the disorganization and old garbage just gets too much to handle. They are still doing a good job managing the jumble somehow .Not their fault it just gets that way after years of open source modifications.

10. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Do you guys still use a offset when using mesh leveling ? Just installed Rc5 with mesh(first time) and it looks to be working, Ran bed leveling and its working but havent printed yet. Couple questions:

1.. How tight do you put the nozzle on to the paper? Once you get it on the paper do you babystep it down to the bed?

2. Should i use a offset still or is the paper thickness a good enough offset already?

3. is this code for my starting script ok ? :
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M851 Z ???????

4How many points do you like using ?

5. I should probably save my project files or something in S3D but i only save the gcode to the lcd sd card .Since the starting script in those gcode files are no longer valid i would have to edit all the gcode manually or reslice those parts with the new starting script. Question is what do you guys do ? Minor inconvenience ,just wondering.

Btw just for other peoples reference when using the XXL Lcd you need to reverse the encoder direction in the firmware .Its opposite of the full graphic LCD so the line " #define REVERSE_MENU_DIRECTION //--ROBO-BH" in config.h needs to be commented out ( // )
    I know to do this but everytime i upload new firmware i forget to change it

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am not finding that Z offset makes much difference since you are using a card or paper to distinguish the level point. That makes Z0 the height of the bed surface plus the paper.

Since I use the Full Graphics LCD, that is how I have it set up. The rest is as much the Robo defaults as can be, it is just easier to maintain the separate files for me.

12. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Makes sense since when i ran mesh level the number i got to the paper was 1.000 which was what i was using when i ran autolevel. My bed seems really level. The most it was off was .1mm going towards the back .X axis all 1.000 . !.000 front .950 middle 900 back with the left back point at .875. I like how this mesh works. Does mesh auto save in eeprom now? I hit the store memory button anyway but not sure if i needed to.

I like how you post the seperate config files to just copy and paste . makes it easier and more organized ,Thanks for doing so.

13. daniel871

Mesh really is the bee's knees.

Now if I could just keep filament from jamming/stripping at the bolt...

14. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Mesh really is . Im liking it, although since my beds so level im rarely seeing the z move while im printing .RC5 seems to be working great . no issues that i can see. Theres not even any syntax errors when uploading .

I changed my hobb bolt a long time ago and luckily dont remember the last time i had a filament jam/stripping.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you don't save memory after the mesh leveling routine it will not be active. Besides this, I think the devs are finally on track to fix the last few bugs that they introduced during this RC process. If you find any please report them as soon as possible.

One more note on MESH, you can leave the G29 command in your startup scripts. G29 will just report the mesh points when executed, it doesn't actually start a leveling routine when MESH is enabled.

16. daniel871

My bed was bowed up in the middle .425mm in the middle and all over the place everywhere else.

No wonder things were erratic about first layer adhesion prior to running mesh leveling.

Only thing I've done departing from the versions Waldo posts is to make mesh do a 7 x 7 grid (since my bed is so out of flat) & increase the forgiveness in the thermal runaway settings to give the printer more time before triggering.

17. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Now i see why so many guys on here are experimenting with different build plates . I was scratching my head like my stock build plate has awesome adhesion .Surprising though as im usually the unlucky one. Now my makerfarm printer is a different story.

I may have found one small issue with Rc5 .Not sure though as im new to mesh and babystepping. Are you supposed to be able to babystep while in print? When you click babystep in the tune menu it seems to do nothing.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Mesh may not allow babystepping, I know it works for auto-level, I will check later today.

19. daniel871

Well, baby stepping while printing shouldn't be needed if mesh leveling ran properly, should it?

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I wouldn't think so. But I am not finding it in the code. So it might work, or might not. I can't find it in any code, there doesn't appear to be any restriction on baby-stepping, but I still don't see the value with MESH leveling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.