1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah but @mark tomlinson there are just too many differences and besides this they changed a ton of variable names and types. I would think it is just too much work for the casual coder. I know the developers have talked about a more modular display in the past, they are also talking about restructuring the code and the way they tackle enhancements moving forward, this would be a good time to start asking for feature requests for future versions.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Oh, was not trying to say it would be 'simple' :)
    Perish the thought.

On this code-line though you need to be tolerant of things changing (or change it back yourself).

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Ok, have generic controller with the full graphics LCD flashed.

Got Max Temp Error on the LCD before hooking it up to the Robo skeleton (off USB power from the PC after flashing).

Is that because nothing is hooked up or should I go ahead and consider the board screwed?

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@daniel871 The LCD is just a monitor, it has no smarts itself other than what is required to display pixels, turn an encoder and push buttons. If there is a message it is from RAMPS/Arduino not the LCD.

5. daniel871

I understand that aspect of it, Waldo.

The current setup that was giving the error is PC-powered USB cable > Arduino Mega/Ramps > LCD.

Got the bootup splashscreen and the graphics/etc, just thought it odd that the error would be MAXTEMP vs. MINTEMP (like you'd normally get if the thermistor was disconnected).

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Still from RAMPS/Arduino

7. daniel871

Moot point, something shorted the generic Arduino/Ramps when the 12v power went to it as well (more blue smoke).

Oh well. Going to strip the hardware off the Robos and trash the electronics and move on.

8. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Active Member

I'm using m851. To change z offset with abl. Though it's not physically moving the z axis. Tried both positive and negative up to .5 with no luck. Suggestions?

9. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

It should work fine with autolevel. .5 is too low of a offset thought. Should be at least M851 Z1.0

10. TstarkEngineering

Ya I figured that out. Opps thank you

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is a very interesting summary of ABL and it might be an insight into why it doesn't work as well as it should for the Robo. There is also a clue as to why MESH is better.

3-point- and grid- ABL are based on the assumptions:

• The machine is infinity stiff - no sag of the axes.
    • The machine has perfect geometry - no twist in the axes, straight axes.
    • the bed is perfectly flat.
    • the one and only allowed error is a slightly tilted bed. That's what it tries to correct.
    Mesh- ABL makes less assumptions, but suffers from the limited number of mesh points we can take. On big machines the distances between the mesh-ponts grow - so the errors.

The big advantage of MBL, in the original implementation, is probing directly with the nozzle. That means no probe_offsets. Probe offsets can amplify some of the geometry errors.

It was specifically a response to using ABL on a very big machine, but it applies universally.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Good news, the Marlin developers started adding Milestones (well, just one, really) and the milestone they added is for the gold release of 1.1.0. It is currently set for May 31, 2016. There are still 14 open issues so they may not make that exact date, but it is promising.

13. TstarkEngineering

Ever since I started using new firmware plus titan carriage I can't seem to get a good first layer on my bed. I tried abl and mesh but I keep getting spots where it either way to high and the extrudate doesn't stick or too low and scrapes the bed. I don't know how I could be that bad using mesh leveling and a piece of paper over and over again...I'm thinking the bed is just messed up or something...I have a brand new bed but was trying to make the old one with a chip last as long as possible...suggestions?

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Really don't know what to tell you. I have had very good success with 1.1.0 and MESH. if you are not could you test going back to 1.0.0 and see if your situation changes. If it doesn't then you know it is something mechanical.

15. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

The mesh is great ! I'm using it for about a week and I can print on the entire bed without any issues (knock on wood)! The only issue I'm experiencing now is that I cannot print two objects in a row without power cycling. Let's say I'm trying to print multiple prints , one after another, and when I'm done with one and start another one, the nozzle drags on the bed, even though it was perfectly fine on previous print. The only way for me to start new print is to power cycle the arduino board and start printing then. Do you have that issue? or did I mess up somewhere when trying to enable MESH?

16. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

I also have always had this issue since iv been using mesh. Not a big deal just minor annoyance.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@zenekNY Try this, add the command M501 at the beginning of your startup gcode. it will force the mesh to reload from EEPROM each time you print. I think there is still some bug with MESH that it doesn't reload on every reboot or on power-up. I still need to investigate it myself since it doesn't seem to be repeatable or consistent in cause.

18. daniel871

Probably a good idea to put M501 there anyway just to make sure it keeps those settings in memory when running the printer for a long period of time.

19. TomerO

TomerO Member

Just wanted to update for feature references that I used to have a leveling problem with one of my corners and now I found time to switch to MESH and it works very well =]

20. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.