1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am about to try it, but unfortunately I am in a time crunch and need to get a print done, so I won't have an answer for at least 8 hours. Days like today I wished I had a second R1.

2. John Edwards

John Edwards New Member

Definitely happens for me. I can't prove that is what caused me to lose settings before, but I think it probably was.

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

It seems there are enough testers but if more are needed I could be convinced to test it also. I just hate probing points with sheets of paper. Spent way too much time fighting with my Delta and its calibration. At some point I need to start using the Robo to print the stuff needed to fix my Delta and stop print more stuff for it. ;-)

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Edward Patel, will likely be contacting me about testing some code to make MBL more robust. It would be nice if I could get some assistance from some of you. I can already verify that only issuing G28 commands that home all axes works and MBL stays in memory. If you have any scripts that try to home less than all three axes you will disable MESH. It doesn't matter if they are startup or end gcode scripts, as soon as they are executed MBL is deactivated. I removed the G28 X0 from the end script and MBL has not lost it's settings since.

5. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Interesting. I would have never thought to check that . Of course i also have G28 X0 on both my printers end code. Ill change it to G1 X0

Thanks once again.

6. Greg Sheets

Greg Sheets New Member

@WheresWaldo : I can help -- I think

I've been using G28 stand-alone, so no issue there. At the end script I do already use G1 X0 Y220, so no partial homing. I've been printing with M501 followed by G28 and start of print job. No issues.

I'll experiment today with manual G28 commands.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just an update. Now RC6 is well behind RCBugFix and hopefully soon we will have the G28 anomaly fixed within MESH. I am going to keep my eye on RCBugFix this week and hope they don't change too many variable names in the process (see comments in #3799). There is quite a bit added since RC6 but the biggest change for me is the developers have added a way to make either the menus or value inputs or both move in the opposite directions, a welcome addition. There are currently 231 code commits added since RC6. Most do not apply to us Robo users. It now takes more time to generate the 6 sets of configuration files needed for the various flavors of the Robo3D R1, but I will look at doing one specific to RCBugFix at the end of next week, might even work on it between Indy and The Coca-Cola 600.

Geof likes this.
  8. Qoo

Qoo New Member

Hi guy where can dowload new mods marlin1.1.0 rc6 3Q

9. TomerO

TomerO Member

I don't know what 3Q is, but checkout page 18 of this thread

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Qoo

Qoo New Member

Thanks.... i try it ...

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay guys, I need some help testing, Edward Patel (implementer of MESH in Marlin) took some time to address some of the issues with MESH deactivating. The big issue was that you could not home axes singly. This patch lets you do just that. The patch is based off RCBugFix code but if it works as expected there will be a pull request and it will be in RC7 or whatever the next release is called. If you want to test this here are the instructions:
    1. Download the patched firmware from https://github.com/epatel/Marlin/archive/235b454b1ef297f4f1961c49838316fe89618a61.zip
    2. Unzip preserving directory structure
    3. Download only one of the following zip files depending on your hardware set up.
      MESH_Patch_RoboR1.zip - If you have a stock 8 mm threaded rod Robo R1
      MESH_Patch_RoboR1PLUS.zip - If you have an R1+PLUS or the 'Official' Lead Screw Update
      MESH_Patch_ROBOR1TR8-8.zip - If you have done a third party lead screw upgrade based on this forum thread
    4. Extract the files from one (only one set of configuration files is required) of the above zip files and place them into the Marlin-235b454b1ef297f4f1961c49838316fe89618a61\Marlin subdirectory overwriting the existing files.
    5. Compile and upload to your RoboR1
    The patch has the following description: 'MBL: Added keeping MBL active when homing single axises'(sic) and addresses the currently open ticket #3750.

#491 WheresWaldo, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

Ill try to test it when i get a chance . My Robo has been working good with the G1 workaround. For some reason im still having the mesh issue with my Makerfarm . Still deactivating mesh and moving the offset to the bed even with the G1 in the end code and M501 in the start code. Dont get it. I get one print good after running bed leveling then it just prints on the bed the next print. So annoying.

13. epatel

epatel New Member

Just as a note, a M501 should be followed by a G28 because it is really the G28 that will sync the position with the "mesh". Hopefully the fix will cover this too as I added an in-between state, in-memory but not active. So a M501 will bring the mesh into memory but its first after a G28 that it will be activated.

14. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

It is. Actually i think my start script on the makerfarm is

G28
    M501
    G29

and end script only has
    G1 X10

I have the same on my Robo which is currently working fine now that i have G1 X10 instead of G28 X0.The makerfarm still has the issue though. Only difference between the two is that the Makerfarm has a fixed endstop so it homes then travels slightly past the endstop for mesh where the Robo endstops lift the x carriage triggering the end stop.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@WADZOQUADZ switch the order of the G28 and M501 and see if that works. That way it's in memory before G28 reenables it.

16. WADZOQUADZ

WADZOQUADZ Member

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have been playing with Edward's patch all evening and could not get it to fail. I even tried some commands that killed the printer forcing a reboot. No matter what I did I could not get MESH to fail. At least not by homing axes.

18. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Sounds promising. I tried the filament change menu again in RC6 and found another problem I need to see if I can reproduce in BugFix.

It popped out the filament as expected, switched back to extruding so I could put in the new filament and when I hit the button to resume the print it looked like all was good as it moved back into position. However once it was back in position it kicked the extruder into full reverse and popped the filament out again. Need to verify its not an ID10T error.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Since this is specific to 1.1.0 and it still is a ways from gold, I thought I would post this observation here. Please note that this only works with Edward Patel's patch (now a PR) which hasn't been merged yet with RCBugFix.

If you are as precise as humanly possible and use the thinnest feeler gauge you have to perform the MESH leveling procedure, you're Robo R1 will show you your actual Z offset and how much the bed flexes when it hits the Z endstop in various locations around the build area. It is easier to see this if you have either the LCD Smart Controller or the Full Graphics LCD Smart Controller.

Once the MESH is done and working to satisfaction move the extruder to X0 Y0 using a G1 command then home only the Z axis with a G28 Z. We will use this as a reference point. When you do this you will notice that the LCD will display your location as X0 Y0 and Z with a negative value probably less than 1 mm. Since you took so much care with the MESH, this negative Z value is an actual measurement of how far below the top of the bed the extruder has to move to trigger the Z endstop. Since we are doing this measurement near a support point for the bed we will assume there is no flex in the build plate at that location. Now move the extruder up then over to the middle of the bed, something like G1 Z5 X110 Y120 should be adequate. Now issue a command to home Z again with a G28 Z and observe the resulting location. Your LCD should now show you a Z position lower than the one recorded at X0 Y0, there might even be a significant difference. If you subtract your initial Z position from the current Z position you will know exactly how much your bed flexes.

Whether or not this information is actually useful is another story, but bed flex as well as Z offset can be measured without using a ruler or via eyeballing.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just an update, Still no RC7 in sight. There have been almost 400 commits since RC6 and no indication that the development team plans to stop any time soon. If we get to the end of June without an RC7 I will try to post an RCBugFix version that will at least have all the latest code.

TomerO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.