1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

I found it and just moved the // from one to the other and it works now thanks for youre help that was fast . only other issue i have now is M851 not adjusting my offset at all it echoes and i store it but the g28 gives me the exact same height every time even if i go extreme

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Are you using RCBugFix or RC8? Something is broken in RCBugFix with the offset. I use MESH and MESH does not use M851 it is set with G29 S4 Zn.nnn

90MJext likes this.
  3. Spidematt

Spidematt Member

i got offset to work through simplify. is there any changes i need to make to start gcode im just using simplify3d default robo3d gcode

#1083 Spidematt, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not that I am aware of.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Big News!

Starting next month there will be a new set of files that are using Uniform Bed Leveling (U.B.L) I am using it currently on my R1 and it is a much more comprehensive probing system than MESH. By default it probes 100 points on the bed in a 10 x 10 grid. I believe the recommended maximum is a 15 x 15 grid (225 probe points). Cool thing is that if you implement removable and replaceable beds you can store a MESH pattern for each and every one. Switch from bed 1 to bed 2 and just tell the printer to use adjustment set 2 and you are fully compensated. U.B.L. is a set once and forget adjustment layer. It also has it's own way to visually validate that your mesh might need adjustments (requires PLA filament loaded in your printer). Think of U.B.L. as the offspring of bilinear bed leveling and mesh leveling with a good does of Chemical-X (««« pop culture reference). Since I am not a developer and there is little to no documentation on U.B.L. in its current form, I cannot help you with implementation and you will use it at your own risk. We can all learn this stuff together. Look for it after April 1st (this is not a prank).

#1085 WheresWaldo, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I should have a set of files tomorrow. Please do not use U.B.L, it i s broken and does not make life easier for the end user. I will no longer be including a U.B.L. enabled file set just the normal auto bed leveling and MESH bed leveling. sometime tomorrow, gotta go watch the Ducks beat the Tarheels.

7. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Wow - Lots of infighting on Github. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Well, eventually the Marlin developers will get UBL sorted out. In the meantime my Robo is working very well with Mesh. So I'll sit on the sidelines until UBL is working and proven superior to what I have now.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson, I am trying to get @mark tomlinson on MESH so I have someone that will experiment on the C2, since Robo is not a real software company, in my opinion they did a lot of stupid totally unnecessary edits to Marlin firmware and a generic Marlin would work well on the C2/R2 to get away from dependence on Robo being the only firmware provider. If they want to control everything then go 100% proprietary, they will lose all those who tinker but I believe they are after the 3D printer as a work of art crowd anyway.

Sorry for the rant, I was working on the new set of files this morning and the configuration file has been completely rearranged since last month.

Sean Carson and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Marlin team has always been more of a loose association of anarchists than a team :) That describes a lot of other open source projects I have participated in that do not have a strong central figure "leading the charge".

Robo... is ... not a software company and while they have (obviously) brought in some folks who can write the code I am not seeing a "team" effort on their side either. Would be better if the rPi side of things was OS, but ...

I will try to do the mesh conversion on the C2 this week, but PM me so I can sort out a few details.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So it is the 2nd, a sad day for Oregon Ducks Basketball, and here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of April 2, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_R1_04-02 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_04-02 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_TR82_04-02 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.2 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    5. Make sure to run the PID auto tune routine for your printer for both hotend (E0) and bed (E-1). Edit Configuration.h with your specific values and recompile and upload to your printer.

Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    7. Some other stuff
    New - Nothing of significance since last month

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

Attached Files:

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Warning!
    These files appear to have broken the MESH routines, I suggest staying with March 15th files found here at post #1052.

So it is the 2nd, now rooting for the Tarheels, and here are the files for Marlin 1.1.0 RCBugFix as of April 2, 2017. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source sub-directory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_R1_04-02 for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_04-02 for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_TR82_04-02 for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.8.2 only.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn, where n.nn is the amount of offset from the bed. M565 and M851 support are not supported in this version of Marlin.
    5. Make sure to run the PID auto tune routine for your printer for both hotend (E0) and bed (E-1). Edit Configuration.h with your specific values and recompile and upload to your printer.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/25 probe points (5 x 5 grid)
    5. Major performance improvement for Graphical LCDs
    6. MESH adjustment heights configured to prevent fractional micro-steps
    New - Nothing of significance since last month

Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together. Original post (#1) edited to provide a link to these current RCBugFix files.

Attached Files:

#1091 WheresWaldo, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Maybe it is just me but I feel like MESH is broken in this version. I can't seem to get it to accept any offset whether it is in firmware or using G29 S4 Zx.xxx or even adding M851. There is definitely something suspicious about how it is behaving. I think I am going to temporarily go back to March 1st files to see if it works there.

Geof likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Same (lack of) Luck here.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am going back to either March 1st or March 15th before all the U.B.L stuff was added. I opened an issue on Marlin GITHUB so we shall see what they say.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just retested with March 15th files, I am going to stick with this one for a bit, they have definitely broken MESH with the introduction of the U.B.L. code. I have a ticket open. I can't say if auto-leveling code was similarly affected since I do not use any of the ABL methods.

16. kapakai

kapakai New Member

First time updating to this mesh firmware (March 15th) coming from Robo3dV3 firmware and I can't seem to get the mesh bed leveling to work. Doing the initial Z calibration works and I can successfully store the offsets but when I am printing something, I don't see the Z rods moving at all, thus the same ole' inconsistent first layer.

I use Simplify3d and my Gcode startup script is:

M82 ; Set extruder to absolute mode
    G1 Z15 ; Move
    G21 ; Set Units to Millimeters
    G28 ; Home all axes
    G29 ; probe bed
    G90 ; Set to Absolute Positioning
    M117 Printing ...

Am I missing something? I have TR8x8 third party rods if that means anything.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@kapakai Do you have an LCD attached? Did you use the menu selection under Prepare >> Level Bed? Did you issue an M500 command after creating the mesh? I am using the same set of files, I have TR8x2 lead screws and the difference between what you have and what I have is only one parameter in one line in Configuration.h, the firmware works identically . The difference being my Z axis is 1600 steps, your is 400 steps.

If you issue a G29 or M420 does it show that Bed Leveling is on?

18. kapakai

kapakai New Member

@WheresWaldo

Yes, I have have performed the bed leveling via the LCD and have performed the M500 command.

Send: M420
    Recv: echo:Bed Leveling On
    Recv: ok

Send: G29
    Recv: State: On
    Recv: Num X,Y: 5,5
    Recv: Z search height: 4
    Recv: Z offset: 0.00000
    Recv: Measured points:
    Recv: 2.32000 2.44000 2.45000 2.42000 2.37000
    Recv: 2.18000 2.29000 2.30000 2.27000 2.16000
    Recv: 2.16000 2.19000 2.13000 2.06000 1.96000
    Recv: 2.12000 2.10000 2.00000 1.94000 1.75000
    Recv: 2.20000 2.17000 2.04000 1.89000 1.67000
    Recv: X:10.00 Y:200.00 Z:3.03 E:-0.60 Count X:800 Y:16000 Z:2077
    Recv: ok

Both commands tell me bed leveling is on.

The only thing I have edited in the configuration.h file are my PID values and steps for the TR8x8 leadscrews.

EDIT: Weird. I redid the bed leveling and printed a test piece and first layer came out really nice. BUT, I still don't see or feel the rods moving? o_O

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Your largest deviation is front middle to back right, so a line printed between those two points might show you something, but don't forget that each section is its own plane, not like auto-level where it fits a best plane to the entire bed.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much, you need to remember that TR8*8 lead screws is 8 mm lift per revolution so it will lift 0.04 mm for every stepper step. it doesn't take many steps to compensate for the bed warp. It you came from 8 mm threaded rods that moved a lot to compensate for the warp since each step only lifts 0.006250 mm, so it takes a lot of rotation to move just a little bit.

#1099 WheresWaldo, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    kapakai and Robert55 like this.
  20. kapakai

kapakai New Member

Gotcha. Thanks for your help, WheresWaldo.

Side question: With TR8*8 leadscrews, should my layer heights be multiples of 0.04? For example: 0.08, 0.2, 0.28, 0.32...? Or it does it not matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.