1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Marlin Firmware Upgrade 1.1.0 RC8 & RCBugFix (For R1 & R1+PLUS)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Been looking at the latest commits from the past few days on RCBugFix. It seems they have ported over a couple of Josef Prusa's modifications into the 1.1.0 code. For now it is just Prusa's improvements to the speed and jerk code. Don't know exactly what that means for us but it is there now. This weekend I will post a complete new set of RCBugFix files. It is really starting to look very good, and I have seen improved printing with all the improvements made to the code from the original 1.0.0 code.

Look forward to it, soon.

Rigmarol likes this.
  2. Steven Stowell

Steven Stowell New Member

Waldo, Thank you for all the work you have put in to this firmware. I have done several hardware upgrades to my Robo but this firmware with mesh leveling has made the biggest improvement to my prints yet. If I can help in any way please let me know.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are all files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RCBugFix, as of October 15th, on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. Some obvious changes from previous RCBugFix versions and RC7 include multiple types of automatic bed leveling; 3POINT uses an arbitrary 3 points on the bed, LINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for beds that only have a tilt in one plane (the original default option), BILINEAR probes several points in a grid pattern, good for large and/or uneven beds. I chose to enable BILINEAR with these configurations. Also of note in this release is the use of new Speed and Jerk code used by Josef Prusa in his new Mk2 printer. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_ABL_5-16_10-15 is for Robo R1 with 5/16" threaded rod Z-Axis
      RCBF_ABL_8mm_10-15 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_ABL_PLUS_10-15 is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_ABL_R1-TR8_10-15 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-enter you Z axis offset using M851 as a positive number. M565 support is not supported in this version
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. Automatic Bed Leveling enabled w/9 probe points (3 x 3 grid)
    5. BILINEAR bed leveling enabled as default
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files. If there are issues with the configuration let me know and we can work on them together.

Attached Files:

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here are all files necessary to run Marlin 1.1.0-RCBugFix, as of October 15th, on our Robo3D R1 printers. I have separated them out into several compressed archive files. Just download the one you need and extract the appropriate files within the Marlin source subdirectory. You cannot use configuration files from previous Marlin releases or from previous Release Candidates. These archives contain the complete source modified as noted. New code from Josef Prusa improving Speed and Jerk routines. This version and future versions of Marlin must be compiled on Arduino IDE 1.6.8 or newer.

Basic steps required:
    1. Download one of the attached files appropriate for your hardware
      RCBF_MESH_5-16_10-15 for Original Robo printers with 5/16" threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_8mm_10-15 is for Robo R1 with 8 mm Z Axis threaded rods
      RCBF_MESH_PLUS_10-15 is for Robo R1+PLUS and R1's upgraded with the Z-Axis lead screw upgrade kit from Robo3D
      RCBF_MESH_R1-TR8_10-15 is for Robo R1's with upgraded Z Axis 3rd party lead screws
    2. Compile and upload to your Arduino 2540 board using the Arduino IDE. Compilation has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.12.
    3. After successful upload, clear EEPROM memory by issuing the following two commands in terminal mode:
      M502
      M500
    4. Re-perform the MESH leveling routine and save the results.
    5. (Optional) Re-enter you Z axis offset, if needed, using G29 S4 Zn.nn where n.nn is a positive number to move further from the bed and negative to move closer. M565 support is not included in this version. This affects the entire mesh, so you usually do not need Z offset at all.
    Common to all these files are:
    1. Set up for Hexagon hotend
    2. Full Graphics LCD enabled
    3. EEPROM memory enabled
    4. MESH Bed Leveling enabled w/16 probe points (4 x 4 grid)
    5. MESH Bed Leveling menu enabled
    6. New code for Speed and Jerk routines
    7. SD Card support
    8. Temperature PID tuning menu enabled
    9. Babystepping enabled
    10. Encoder reversed
    11. Encoder beeps
    Please note that I am not one of the Marlin developers. If you have an issue with this release post here first. If it is determined that it is not a configuration issue, then you may be directed to post the issue on Marlin's GITHUB. I cannot guarantee success using beta firmware, I can vouch for error free compiling with these included files.

Attached Files:

#744 WheresWaldo, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Rigmarol likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo thank you for this. I'll be switching to mesh after a bit more how to. Appreciate you doing all this work for everybody

6. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

I cannot wait to get home now. I got my inductive sensor installed and tuned last night. Excited as hell. Appreciate it @WheresWaldo

Now if I could just find a good sensor mount for us

7. ProfessorPinky

Adjusted the Z driver and still doesn't work right.
    The drivers were set at:
    X: 384 mV
    Y: 363 mV
    Z: 646 mV
    E: 353 mV

These number are using bug fix from 9/30 & 10/15
    250mV @ 500mm/min - really slow movement and stops and starts again
    500mV @ 200-320mm/m - slow movement
    500mV, 600mV, & 675mV @ 500mm/m - no movement, rods rough vibration and loud
    500mV, 600mV, & 675mV @ 1000mm/m - no movement, rods smooth vibration and loud but higher pitch
    800mV @ 500mm/m - loud and skips steps constantly, driver gets too hot

I did notice one thing different between 9/30 & 10/15 in regards to my problem.
    BugFix 9/30: 600mV @ 350mm/min - 430mm/min - no movement, rods vibrate, and loud
    BugFix 10/15: 600mV @ 350mm/min - 430mm/min - movement, rods vibrate, and loud
    Switched back to 9/30 after trying 10/15 and the same thing happens with 600mV @ 350mm/min - 430mm/min

Switching back to official Robo version 3 Z-axis movement at 600mV @ 200mm/min - 1200mm/min works fine as before.

I also switched the Y and Z drivers and changed their voltages to what they were and the Z-axis still doesn't work right. The Y-axis works as it did before swapping the Z-axis driver.

The printer works fine if I set the movement speed to around 200mm/min or at about 3.3mm/sec.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@ProfessorPinky I don't know what to tell you, all my stepper drivers are in the 600-700 mV range and I am not experiencing any of these symptoms. There really is noting in the firmware that is so different that you should be seeing this. Is your Robo electronics original?

9. ProfessorPinky

Yes it is the board that it shipped with. I wonder why BugFix 9/30 and 10/15 act differently with the same voltage and movement speed.
    I don't expect you to have the answer. I was hoping you or someone else has had this happen. I will just use a slower movement speed. I am thinking I may order a RAMPS kit from Amazon just to have on hand. Maybe I will try it with the R1.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@ProfessorPinky
    I am wondering if there are any other R1+PLUS users using MESH here. Mine is an R1 and I am not seeing any speed issues at all. That is one reason why I am still questioning hardware as the culprit. Yours appears to be the only report of such behavior. Truth be told, I have no idea how many people here are using 1.1.0, maybe I should edit this thread and make a poll to see what people have used it.

11. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Maybe make a separate poll thread since this is already a long one. Just a poll of what firmware used. Standard Robo versions vs the 1.1.0 counterparts. Just a thought. Of course we might get a lot of "I don't know how do I tell" replies.

12. Charles M Waldie 3

Charles M Waldie 3 New Member

I hope this saves me the time I need. I was trying to do this on my own because I just bought a new Ramps 1.4 with LCD screen and I got a 3rd party LeadScrew upgrade rods. I was doing quite well until I kept getting an AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE requires a probe error. No matter what I select it still gave me that error.

I also hope the Dyze Design thermistor is on that list. I have the one that goes up to 500c. Much obliged for your help. I also have a BLTouch Z probe, but I think I am going to have to design a part for it. I haven't hooked that up yet. :(

13. ProfessorPinky

Sometime over the next week I think I will go back and try all the RC versions and see if I can see when this started happening or if it happens with all versions except with original version 3.
    Thank you for your time. I won't bother you with this until I think I may have a possible cause narrowed down.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The plus mesh firmware works like a champ.

15. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

So not to be dense but once I download the mesh firmware for the r1+ I have to change the values for pid, thermistor for e3dv6, and esteps. Correct?

Also, once I upload the firmware and clear eprom with M502, and M500, how do I re-perform the mesh leveling routine? Are there commands for that? How do I save the results? Thanks!

16. danzca6

Toro

Once installed your LCD will have a bed leveling menu option under prepare. That starts the mesh leveling process. Lower the nozzle using the controller to the bed on the first point. You can use a piece of paper a a feeler gauge. Press the scroll wheel and it goes to the next point. Continue process until done.

17. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks danz. Does the new firmware have the knob steps adjusted? I know when I first got the LCD, the know turned wierd and jumped around. I followed Tom's video and changed the steps. Does the new firmware automatically have that in there?

18. danzca6

@WheresWaldo setup for the Full Graphics LCD so that it turns the correct way and that it navigates smoothly. I had to reverse the dial and change some of the LCD settings because I am using the XXL. No biggie really, but you should be set.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol im just rocking the backwards knob :) haha

20. ProfessorPinky

I installed a full graphics controller last week and had to change the following two lines to get the display to work the way I thought it should.
    Code:
    #define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 4  //--ROBO-MatthewUpp
    #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1  //--ROBO-MatthewUpp

I changed the value from 4 to 5 in the following line because with 4, the nozzle was still too high for the right side of my bed.
    Code:
    #define MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z 5  // Z after Home, bed somewhere below but above 0.0.  //--ROBO-MatthewUpp

You can also change how many MESH points if you want but a 4 x 4 grid has proved sufficient for me.
    Code:
      #define MESH_NUM_X_POINTS 4  //ROBO-BH Don't use more than 7 points per axis, implementation limited.
      #define MESH_NUM_Y_POINTS 4  //ROBO-BH

Then there is this one but mine was okay without changing
    Code:
    // This option reverses the encoder direction everywhere
    //
    //  Set this option if CLOCKWISE causes values to DECREASE
    //
    #define REVERSE_ENCODER_DIRECTION  //--ROBO-BH

#760 ProfessorPinky, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status: