1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Massive Shifting Issue Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by agump, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agump

agump Member

So I went to do my longest print yet, (5 hour quadcopter arm) and went downstairs for about an hour maybe halfway through and came back to this. it appears my print shifted about 1 cm off and continued to print like this. anyone have any ideas what would cause this? printing pla 187 degrees all stock settings
    Photos Here
    http://imgur.com/a/JstqO

2. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

There are a few common causes:

1. Loose drive pulley on the motor
    2. Extremely loose belt (due to the timing nature of the belt, this is very unlikely)
    3. The carriage bound up on a pass, causing the motor to skip steps.
    4. The trim pot on the stepper is set too low and needs to be adjusted higher.

3. agump

agump Member

okay leon im going to need some help on these. which drive pully would be loose and how would i tighten it? what would cause the carriage to bind up and how would i fix that? next what is a trim pot and how would I adjust that higher? Thank you

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that is a Y axis shift so the belt is probably the culprit the other things are also possibilities but a a simple loose belt it probably it. IT is the only visible belt above the bed and it should have a definite twang if you pluck it like a guitar if it just a dull thud then it is too loose. The easiest way to fix the looseness it to get two tie wraps and notice how it is originally secured cut the original tiewrap undo it from the post it was looped around. Re-position the loop by moving it to make teh belt about 1 inch shorter and secure the belts with the first tie wrap. It should not reach where it was originally attached then use the second tie wrap to connect the newly positioned loop in the belt and the original mounting point. Then you can simply tighten the second tie wrap and it will no be a belt tightener and you can get it as tight as you want. Remember though it should NOT be over tightened just give the belt a little twang.

Hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.