1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Massive under extrusion on bottom layer even with onboard slicer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Feb 25, 2019.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So I just picked up a used C2 (after having an R1 for a few years and then not printing for a couple years) and am trying to get it set up. Made sure the firmware was up to date, ran both the rough and fine z offset tuning, and started printing. I was using Astroprint to slice, and realized it was setting the first layer at way too short (resulting in the chopped-up top layer indicative of that issue). So I threw the swatch STL onto a USB stick and let the printer slice it. I finally got a completed print, but as you can see in the attached image the extrusion was crazy low on the first layer. I'm using PolyMaker's PolySmooth at 210° extruder temp.

Could this also be a layer height issue? It seems so strange that the top of the print looks pretty decent but the bottom layer is like 50% under extruded. Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well... I'd say calibrate the extruder :)
    It is a pain on the R2/C2 if you leave auto-updates enabled because the "RoboOS" (a raspian by any other name...) may auto-update your firmware for you and over write your changes). You can do a coarse adjustment by tweaking flowrate in your slicer.

(I just turned off auto-updates and bounced to a later version of Marlin -- not that it helped in any specific way -- but I can calibrate the extruder)

If the whole "calibrate the extruder" sounds foreign, watch this:

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could also be back pressure caused by the autoleveling offset being too low (too low -> more pressure to extrude --> under extrusion)
    Play with your calibration wizard and fine tuning wizard.

4. SoLongSidekick

So how would I go about adjusting the extrusion amount on the C2? On my old R1 I remember changing settings was modifying the Arduino project and flashing it to the board. I'm not familiar with what's actually under the hood of the C2.

The offset definitely doesn't seem too low. I'm new to this printer and re-learning the fine details of printing, but I've printed quite a bit before and if anything my z offset is a tad bit too high because that was also my worry. And if that was the case it would effect all the layers, not just the bottom one.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Z Offset only affects layer number 1. On the C2 using the offset wizard should get you close, then the fine tune wizard will get it refined.

Calibrating the extruder on the C2 is exactly the same as the R1, mess with firmware and reflash. There is one other way, but since I don't have stock firmware on my R2 I am not 100% sure on the steps. I think you can go to Utilities >> Options >> EEPROM and change the steps there once you do the calibration of the extruder. I really don't think that is necessary on the C2/R2 since Robo got the number really close to being 100% correct.

6. SoLongSidekick

Yeah something is just not adding up here. I'm only seeing under extrusion on the first layer (as shown in the images attached to the OP), so I doubt calibration is the issue.

Does the C2 run an Arduino/RAMPS board like the R1 did? I've been out of 3D printing for so long I feel so lost.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, but the custom control board they do use is essentially the same thing -- just one board. The down side to that is that if any one part (like a $2 stepper driver) dies -- you replace the entire board :(
    The plus side is that you could totally replace it with an Arduino/RAMPS and load the firmware and the rPi in there would never notice :) That is a bit more wiring work, but feasible.

Under extrusion on the first layer is almost always just an offset issue, but are you using the silly rafting that they had configured or is your first layer going directly on the bed?

8. SoLongSidekick

Well that's... not a smart decision. I guess I'll do that though if something does die.

That's what I originally thought! But with both the z offset slightly high and super low I get the exact same issue. No, it's set to use no rafts or anything. Why is a raft the default option? Who the hell uses rafts anymore?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Very good questions! I can only assume the answers to be:

1) to makes sure things printed "stuck"
    2) Nobody else I know ;)

10. SoLongSidekick

OK so I was giving the two swatch prints I tried a closer look and it's almost under extruding by EXACTLY 50%. I mean almost down to the pixel when looking at a digital picture of them. Could this be a stepper control issue? It's only happening on the first layer, which is just so freaking confusing.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, what is your slicer settings for the first layer?
    Many slicers to cut that one down (some by 1/2)...

12. SoLongSidekick

Like I mentioned, this is with the onboard slicer. I haven't been able to get any other slicers to even work yet because there's some weird first layer height issue I need to work out. The z offset is set perfectly but when using an off-board slicer the nozzle drags through the first layer.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, well I have no experience with the Cura slicer engine they use, but it is not unusual for a slicer to do specific things to a first layer height (expand/contract it, etc.)

Here is an example:

first layer.jpg

How about you post the startup GCode block from the slicer and from OctoPrint?
    You might just have something colliding there.

Geof likes this.
  14. SoLongSidekick

Sure, will do. I'm about to test upping the layer height using Astroprint to slice, and if that works it will definitely narrow down what the issue is. Will post startup code tonight.

Geof likes this.
  15. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

16. SoLongSidekick

Well. I started responding to this thread when the forum notified me of a new post. I followed Tkoco's steps to reset the firmware. It sure as hell looks like that solved the problem. I'm printing something now and except for a small area of slight under extrusion, it looks like it's working. I'm still going to post what I was going to post before though, in case anyone finds this in the future.

I started at .3mm and went up to .4 and .5 in the first layer height in Octoprint. Attached are the images of the first layer (or so) of .4 and .5mm. The .4mm photo actually has 2 walls around the outside, and you can see the layer height is perfect, but the print still fails. Then at .5mm you can see the layer height is too high, and failure. So it definitely wasn't a first layer height problem.

When logging into Octoprint for the first time it told me there was an update, and I installed/updated EEPROM Marlin Editor Plugin: 1.2.1. So it could have been that, or resetting the firmware that did it for me. I'm not sure which. Regardless, thanks Tkoco. I think I have this solved. I'll post an image of the print when it's done.

Attached Files:

#16 SoLongSidekick, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  17. SoLongSidekick

Yeah the firmware reset did help, but I'm still getting noticeable under extrusion on just the bottom layer (will have slightly more once I raise the z offset a bit as needed). I don't understand how the reset helped some but not all.

How do I get the startup code out of Octoprint? Via command?

Attached Files:

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I looked at the first image which you had attached to this message. Your print bed is not level. Look at the bottom of the picture where the printer is laying down the "priming" strip. That strip should be the same width as the item being printed (above it). Instead the priming strip is very wide indicating that the front of the print bed is higher than the average height of the print bed (skewed front to back). Try following the leveling procedure posted at the beginning of the Troubleshooting forum. You will need to shim up the two back posts of the print bed support platform.

20. SoLongSidekick

I don't see any GCode labeled "startup" or anything like that, can you point me in the right direction?

Also, I added the airflow ducts published by Robo3D and just as it says may happen I'm having issues at the beginning of prints. It says to change the airflow settings so the fans turn on after 10mm of print height. How do I go about changing that? I know there are settings for that in external slicers, but like I've mentioned I've had bad luck with external slicers so far.