1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Massive under extrusion on bottom layer even with onboard slicer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Feb 25, 2019.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you are talking about the startup block in OctoPrint see my previous post: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...r-even-with-onboard-slicer.23129/#post-134126

Otherwise I need to know which slicer you are using -- they all do it differently.

All of the other settings you are asking about are slicer specific too.

If you are using the internal slicer that OctoPrint uses I *THINK* that is an older version of Cura (15.x) but I have never used it so I am not certain.

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Log into OctoPrint using a standard browser. The scripts area can be found in the Settings menu.

( If you use CURA ) As far as the fans settings, You will find the answer in the cooling section of the quality profile. Can't see all of the settings? In CURA 3.6.0, Preferences -> Configure CURA -> Settings -> check the "Check all" box and close the menu. Then go back to the cooling section of the profile. :)

3. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Thank you!

Here's the before print starts script pulled from Octoprint:
    ; set to millimeters
    G21
    ; set to absolute mode
    G90
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; turn off fans
    M107
    ;non blocking heatup of extruder
    M104 S210
    ;Robo Leveling
    G36
    ; pause for 2 seconds
    G4 S2
    ; move bed down 15mm
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; move to front left corner
    G1 X10 Y1 F7200
    ; heat to priming line temp
    M109 S210
    ; move bed to printing position
    G1 Z0.3
    ; print 120mm priming line
    G1 X120 E15.0 F500
    ; move bed down
    G1 Z15 F300
    ; zero extruder
    G92 E0
    ; set movement speed
    G1 F7200

I'm talking about the built-in slicer, as in the slicer used when you control prints via the LCD.

EDIT - Anyone know how to get the timelapses out of Octoprint? I installed a Raspberry Pi camera and it works in the interface, but it's not showing any done timelapses as seen in the attached image.

Attached Files:

4. SoLongSidekick

I'll start new threads to directly address the new questions I have, because I guess the under-extrusion problem is solved. It's not really solved but at least I can print correctly now.

The solution? don't use the LCD to start prints. The bottom 2 filament chips shown in the attached image were sliced using Cura for Robo and uploaded wirelessly via Octoprint. I reached out to R3D support directly for help and their answer? Don't use the LCD screen or on-board slicer. Pretty pathetic response. I have to say, this is not the company I remember from my R1 days.

If anyone in the future has this problem, just don't use the LCD screen and kiss the easy portability of the C2 as an awesome feature goodbye.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not used the on-board slicer because I don't use Cura (and never really liked it) however we DO use the LCD to start prints that we have done in Simplify3D. It seems to work as expected -- I don't have any startup GCode in S3D, it is all done in OctoPrint*.

I should also mention that the OctoPrint startup scripts are minimal for us -- I manually leveled the bed and do not use auto-leveling.

If you want any details on that, hit me up.

*that is possibly the largest confusion factor. Since OctoPrint is largely in control -- even when using the LCD -- things need to be configured there. It is confusing for long-term Marlin folks because normally you see an LCD and assume you are dealing with Marlin directly. Not in this case. The LCD software is on the RaspberryPi and IT talks to OctoPi and the printer. It seems to use the OctoPi print queue and that means it will feed through the startup/shutdown scripts that OctoPi has enabled.

#25 mark tomlinson, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Look in the Mods and Upgrades forum. You will find instructions posted by @OutsourcedGuru called
    "Upgrading the Robo C2 with a Pi NoIR webcam - Instructions"

7. SoLongSidekick

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

UPDATE:

CURA 3.6:
    Start printing a model. Log into OctoPrint. Under the System menu, click on Start video stream. Assuming that you are using CURA, the program will be in the Monitor mode. Unfortunately, CURA does not always sync up with the OctoPrint video stream. The work-around is to click on Prepare, wait until CURA switches over to that mode. Then click on Monitor.

When the print is finished, stop the video stream. Otherwise, when you send another model to be printed, the video streaming will overwhelm the attempt to upload the new model. If that should happen, cancel the model upload. Then disable the video stream followed by re-uploading the new model.

CURA 4.0:
    For some reason, CURA 4.0 does not support video streaming out of the box. I'll attempt to get to the root of the problem.

#28 tkoco, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019