1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

matter contol .. did I miss something??

Discussion in 'Software' started by John Rygg, Apr 14, 2014.

1. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

So I am busy printing away not paying attention to the robo forum.
    I got a new laptop that I was going to load repeater-host on and I went to the robo site to download the software for robo and I find that Matter control software is now the default???

what is the benefit to using matter control over Repeater-host ? Why the change ?

2. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

Hi John,

We switched over to MatterControl, as they are working with us personally to continuously improve the software. Also for newer people to 3D printing it is quite a lot easier for them to learn.

3. miaxix888

miaxix888 New Member

I used MatterControl and it's a very friendly software. I like it a lot !!

4. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

So I have figured out replicator-host and have been using it with my robo for at least 6 months. other then repeater crashing every once in a while it works great.

what can MatterControl do that repeater can't? convince me to switch :)

thanks
    John

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I actually use both, switching from one to another depending on the job. Sometimes
    Rep has a better print and other times MC works Ok. They both use the slic3r.
    I tried using that bed leveling button and it actually works pretty good.

Can anyone confirm whether the software makes a difference in the way it prints even though both are slicing using sli3r?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have not seen obvious differences between MC and Repetier prints if the same slicer is chosen with the same settings (same with Cura). The slicer results in the same GCode. The differences are in how the various settings (like speeds and many others) seem to default. Which can make it easier to setup and get going if the defaults work for you. I think the entire purpose of MC was to try and simplify the choices by having some standard defaults that mostly work.

I had swapped back and forth between slicers on occasion. Specifically when (for example) Repetier was having trouble with a given model, Cura might not. I even tried KISSLICER on occasion, but was not impressed with it.

I would certainly suggest that starting out with something like MC is far better as there are less knobs to tweak and quite frankly a lot of failures are user generated (by poor setting choices). God forbid we had started with something like Simplify 3d...

7. Brian Clough

Brian Clough New Member

Does anyone know if you can export the .gcode from MC? It seems to slice then immediately start the print.

8. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Click in the printer queue area to the right of the object. Export, either Gcode or STL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk