1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Matter Control locks up under macOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thgill, Oct 10, 2017.

1. thgill

thgill New Member

So I have a problem with Matter Control under High Sierra. I launch the application and I see the icon in the dock and thats it. I never see the interface to it. I have to force quit it.

On this same machine under Sierra it worked fine.

I checked the software downloads and I already have the most recent version of Matter Control.

Is this something that can be fixed? I liked the simplicity of Matter Control.

Thanks!
    todd

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @thgill I'd suggest checking out the matter hackers forum. They wrote matter control and most of us did not like the simplicity and moved away from it long ago. Directly contacting matter hackers, going to their forum, or a FAQs page about it may answer your question. Sorry I cant be of more help.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. thgill

thgill New Member

Ahhhh! Thanks for that. I didn’t realize it wasn’t a robo3d specific software.

What other software is everyone using?

I have a r1+Plus

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No, Robo has no specific software they have developed though some slicers they have made "themes" for their machines with profiles.

Most common Free ones:
    Slic3r (lots of controls)
    Cura (quite a bit of controls but easy to use)

paid Slicer:
    Simplify 3D ( 150.00- use the free ones until they dont meet your needs)

6. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

If it were me, I'd use Finder to find the executable and run that from a Terminal session to watch why it failed (console-logged progress).

Applications -> right-mouse click on MatterControl -> Show Package Contents -> Contents -> MacOS -> run MatterControlMac

You could alternately do this in a Terminal session instead by running:

$ /Applications/MatterControl.app/Contents/MacOS/MatterControlMac

A likely culprit is the default rights in the folder /Users/myusername/.local/share

You might need to change Everyone to Read & Write.

Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 8.52.31 AM.png

It sounds like someone at Apple thinks that they need to tighten up overall security and version after version has been ratcheting that up. If MatterControl is an unsigned app then OS X probably wants to put it in a playpen and run it as a user-who-isn't-you. It's a subtle security-ish sort of way of strong-arming developers so that they have to buy a $100/year digital certificate and part of Apple's way of extorting money wherever they can, all in the name of security.

#6 OutsourcedGuru, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.