1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

matter controll rafts...wont remove

Discussion in 'Software' started by fredm, Jul 2, 2017.

1. fredm

fredm Member

I never had a problem with rafts before. they used to peel away easily.
    now they are melted to the part.
    dont know if maybe I accidentally changed a setting...airgap?
    or its something else.

what are other causes of this?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont often print with rafts, but matter control is very hit or miss. Airgap would increase the "space" between the raft and your part, assuming its not a slicer fail you may want to ensure your printing at the correct temperature as well.

3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I slice with Cura and always with rafts (no heated bed) and most (taller) parts behave great but the last two coins were a real pain to de-raft them (relatively thin parts @ 2.5mm high plus 7 layers of raft, I'd guess).

On thin parts, if you wait until the part is room temperature it seems to break-away easier from my experience. Note to self: chuck it into the freezer to see if this helps raft/support separation.

I note that the low end for the Robo-branded PLA from the box suggests 185°C but the default for the software appears to be 190°C. I wonder if 185° would be fluid enough to lay down a nice pad and yet promote easier separation.

The carbon fiber—infused PLA's inherent strength (and 205°C extrusion temperature) means that it doesn't want to separate normally; I've sometimes had to use Count Spatula and striking the end of it forcefully with my open palm in a slicing-from-top motion for that.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The temperatures listed for any spool are "guidelines"