1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

MatterControl 1.5 printing layer view, not 3d

Discussion in 'Software' started by jtjames87, Nov 8, 2017.

1. jtjames87

jtjames87 New Member

Hello,

As some can probably tell I am an extreme noob here and just tried printing my first print from the Robo 3D Plus 1.

I converted a 3D model I made in Sketchup to an STL file then opened and attempted to print it in MatterControl. Problem is, the actual end result looks exactly like the Layer View in MatterControl instead of the 3d View.

How do I fix this?

Thank you,
    Justin

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Moved to software.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly dont know what your saying? Can you share some photos? Of the print and a screen shot of what your seeing?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you created the 3D model yourself you want to start by running it through some test/repair tools to make sure that it is able to generate an actual complete solid surface (with no broken vectors) when you save it as STL.

Run it through something like this:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

There are some good online references that discuss how to do 3D modeling when your target is 3D printing. Note: your model MAY be fine, but it is worth checking. Then include some pictures of the problem :)

Geof likes this.
  5. jtjames87

jtjames87 New Member

Sorry, here are some pictures. First is the 3D image I made and transferred from Sketchup (converted to STL from a Sketchup). This is the "3D View" in MatterControl. The second image is the "Layer View" and as you go down to the 3rd image, that is what actually printed. Thank you Mark, I will look into that link as well.

3D View.PNG Layer View.PNG Actual Print.PNG

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.