1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered MatterControl print issues w/Support

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jOeBrokeIt, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Alright kids!
    While at work I setup a test print of the emitter of the Lightsaber. I am surprised how this came out but did notice some flaws.
    But I honestly cant say how to get a better print other than maybe some support material?
    I chose the High Quality preset in Matter control and changed the Air Gap to 0.5mm. Because from previous attempts the support material seemed to bond to the actual print and was impossible to remove, and what was removable left the surface really gritty and a nasty texture.

IMG_1260.JPG IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1263.JPG IMG_1264.JPG

Please let me know what I can do to tweak it to get the best possible from this printer.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Not bad... Supports in MC are bad. Cura gets a bit better. Simplify 3D hold the title though for best supports. It is true that the program you use for printing can influence the quality of your print.

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Joe - I am fairly new 3d user myself. About two months now. And I would get frustrated when I asked people how to improve quality and they said switch to Simplify 3D as my slicer. After all, it's $150 and I didn't want to shell that out after having just paid the money for printer, filament, hairspray - you name it.

That said - switch to S3D as your slicer....Lol. Can't believe I am saying it, but there is simply no comparison with how S3D slices and the control it gives you to create some awesome prints. Expensive - yes. Worth the money - double yes.

You hit the nail on the problem. earlier - at such low resolution, Matter Control just cannot handle the supports. It fuses them - all the time. You either end up ripping off the support and leaving garbage behind, or spending hours doing clean up. S3D handles supports beautifully.

Just my .02

danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

You should be able to print that without supports, so that should not be a factor. I would print this without supports and the first picture of the item on the bed does not show them.

Here is something that all us veterans know but forget to tell new users, when you have a slope like on the bottom of that emitter. Where you are sloping outward there are usually a couple of settings that will help you make it look more finished. The first is layer height, smaller layers are offset less over the edge of the layer below, Most of the time the layer width remains the same regardless of layer height, so you get more overlap and less overhang on subsequent layers if the layer height is smaller. Another option (if available) that helps with overhanging layers is to build the perimeter from the inside out. Most slicers default from outside in. I don't have MC installed so I don't know if you can do that but in S3D it is labeled Outline Direction and is under the Layer tab in Processes.

I should add that Slic3r has an option within it to make the outer perimeter a different height than the infill, I haven't used that in a long time, but essentially you could tell Slic3r that the outside is 0.1 mm layer height and that the infill is 0.2 mm and it would only infill every other perimeter layer.

#4 WheresWaldo, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Geof, danzca6 and mark tomlinson like this.