1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved MatterControl showing bed and hotend same temp

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chuck Glenn, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

I installed a new controller board and hotend ordered from Robo, checked and double-checked the wiring (and their left-handed Z Axis is incorrectly shown REVERSED on the diagram BTW). Now when I try to pre-heat the hotend to install filament and try things out, the BED temperature in MatterControl is rising right along with the hotend. As soon as it hits 100C of course it throws an error. I then tried preheating the bed and a similar fluke -- the two temperature readings are rising together in sync. I did have to uninstall and reinstall MC to get it to recognize the printer after the board swap. Any idea if this is just some kind of funky setting in MC?

Note: I also re-flashed the board using Arduino 1.6.9 just to make sure that wasn't the problem. Is there some kind of bug in their Arduino sketch ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 that is mixing up these two thermistor inputs???

The picture is when I tried pre-heating the bed. Notice the identical "actual" temps

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the only time I've seen both temps rise and fall at the same time its been a defective ramps board. Can you upload a few good clear pictures of your board and connections so we can double check that part for you? I'm assuming the bed is actually heating to 100C?

3. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

the bed and hotend heat when requested, and they definitely heat separately. It's just that the "actual" shown in MC is coming back the same for both (any time I heat either). There's nothing that looks wrong about the T0 and T1 connectors from the outside view. I've taken the two connectors for T0 and T1 off and taken a picture of where they were attached. What else should I try to get a picture of?

THANKS!

Edited to add pictures of boards

Attached Files:

#3 Chuck Glenn, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

So one of two things. Possibly the software- install a different software and try to preheat- if the same thing happens (both heat to the hotend temp) then you have an issue in the board. If they dont you know there is an issue with MC.

5. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

What's the simplest software to try? I've only ever used MC and it worked fine for years before all this...

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cura is free. I doubt its the software and fully expect it to be a bad ramps board, but knocking another item off the troubleshooting check list does help.

7. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

Well I am on hold calling them to ask for another board. You'd think if I paid $100 to them they'd send one that's been tested or something. If I wanted non-working junk or things I'd have to futz with I could have gotten something cheaper. Cura didn't show anything at all in the actual temperatures for either the bed or the hotend. I tried preheating the bed and it did get warm, but the actual stayed at zero in cura.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds very odd to me. Unfortunantly like everyone else, I assume most the parts come from the OEM and are subject to their quality. I can speak for standard ramps (I swapped my R1+ to one long ago to save the cash) they are hit or miss but at 12.00 each and amazon prime for returns I gamble :D

It seems odd to me the bed isn't showing anything for the actual (raise in temp). One of the two should show a raise in temp if the part is preheating. Very strange. If showing no change but is heating there is something very wrong as the item will continue to heat forever (try to). Your certain you have the bed and thermistor wires landed in the correct spot as well as the hotend and its thermistor in the right spot.

Why are you changing ramps boards again?

9. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

I was getting the M999 errors (or something) from the thermistor on the hot end spontaneously reading ZERO mid-way through a print and stopping with a hardware error. I replaced the hotend and got the same thing on the first print, so I figured it must be the controller (somewhere). I've also had the charred D8 connector where the bed never heats, and had to clean that up several times. I figured if I replaced the controllers at least I wouldn't have the charred D8. I also ordered a few of "phoenix 4-pin connectors" (those green type that are used for both the power leads and the D8/D10), so those would be clean.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If it only happens during movement it could be the wires causing grief. Do you have a multi meter? You can check to see if the thermistor pins are shorted to each other (would explain both working together) but also want to check the wiring. D8 being charred is for sure needed replacement ramps board so agree with what you did. Cleaning may prolong the issue but I never take the chance, I just replace the board. I would for sure have them send you a replacement replacement ramps board and go from there with it.

11. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

Yep. Both T0 and T1 show connected on southern and northern posts. So I guess it is the RAMPS board specifically.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

To be 100% sure you can remove the ramps from the arguino and test again but agree with your findings :)

13. Chuck Glenn

Chuck Glenn Member

It was removed, so yeah. bad RAMPS! Is there any reason to not just get a RAMPS 1.5 or 1.6 on my own? They seem pretty inexpensive and it seems like they are designed to handle more heat/amps.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven’t used the newer ramps so not sure what they changed. We have a thread on how to do it since it’s different than the oem board

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Only if you are against a little light rewiring. :)
    Not too complicated and Geofs thread details it pretty well.

Geof likes this.