1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Matterhacker problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by twilk53, Apr 26, 2017.

1. twilk53

twilk53 New Member

I'm suddenly having all kinds of software problems. Old g codes work fine. Anything new misses the first two or three layers and has a rough final couple of layers. MatterControl seems to have a mind of its own. It doesn't heat to the temperature I have programmed for the print, it doesn't go through the leveling routine (as soon as the nozzle heats up, it moves to the center and starts the print in mid air). I have the MatterControl Touch and it says it can't connect because there are no com ports available. If I go through the Mattercontol cloud and print an old file from months ago it does everything correctly including the leveling routine. If I disconnect the Touch and try to print direct from my laptop, it still doesn't print new files right. I reinstalled MatterControl software and Cura to no avail. Any ideas?

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Sign up and post about the issues on their forums, since nobody at Robo is directly involved in the development of MatterControl?

https://forums.matterhackers.com/

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure how many people actually use it either.
    Sure it is often the one people start on, but I don't have a good guess for how many STAY using it :)

4. daniel871

It boggles my mind how much people are willing to pay for that hilariously overpriced MatterTablet or whatever they're calling it now.

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is way too pricey when you figure a Pi and OctoPrint are more of a win (IMHO)

WheresWaldo likes this.
  6. twilk53

twilk53 New Member

I paid $200 for a refurbished unit and I'm very sorry I did. I've used Octoprint and Raspberry Pi where I just retired from and loved it. It was on a Lulzbot Taz 6 printer. I mistakenly thought the MatterControl Touch would be as intuitive and easy to use. Even when it worked it was confusing. I looked into setting up the Pi and Octoprint and it sounded like it is over my head. I guess I'm waiting on something that is more plug-and-play.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

8. daniel871

I think they're saying that the process of burning the SD card image and setting the software side of the Pi up was tricky, not the super-simple "Plug the Pi into the Robo's USB port, then connect power to the Pi" process was tricky.

9. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

OctoPi is actually pretty easy to set up if you follow Guysoft's wiki page on GITHUB. It is almost all pre-configured and requires just rudimentary knowledge of SD card writing software (you just need to know how to use Win32DiskImager) and how to plug in your rPi. I can see it would be difficult if you were doing it all from scratch, but Guysoft made OctoPi almost entirely plug and almost play.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. twilk53

twilk53 New Member

I've never heard of Win32DiskImager but I'm willing to try to learn it. I went looking on Amazon for Pi kits and rather than buying the most expensive everything - included kit, I was wondering which is best for the Robo (I would want to add the camera) ?

11. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

12. twilk53

twilk53 New Member

Thanks.