1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved MC very slow at writing layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dbvanhorn, Mar 19, 2017.

1. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

After the most recent update, I've noticed that MC is taking a LONG time to write layers.
    I run my robo on a laptop with three SSDs raided for speed, so I'm pretty sure it's not the laptop.
    The job that's starting now is 116 layers and I've had time to contemplate asking the question, get to the forum, log in, and type all this, and just now the printer begins moving. Many minutes.

I'm used to seeing this process take maybe 10 seconds.
    Any ideas on what changed, what I might do to restore the speed?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is only one slicer that I know of that is slower than MatterControl and that is SkeinForge. Anything complex or anything exported with a very high number of facets (triangles) will slow MC to a crawl.Things downloaded from Thingiverse tend to be lower in resolution and thus take much less time to slice than high resolution STL files.

#2 WheresWaldo, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

Again, I've been using MC for a couple of years now, I know what to expect unless something is slightly broken in the latest release.
    I generated the files from OpenSCAD, so maybe there's some setting there that I'm not aware of on export?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That would be my suspicion too which is why I suggested reaching out to the one who wrote it.
    It is not surprising to find bugs in it, I have logged a number and I don't even regularly use it.

https://github.com/MatterHackers/MatterControl/issues

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Without knowing the files you created there is no way of knowing just how complex or not they really are, for example, most of the OpenSCAD code I have seen in 3D print repositories tend to have their arcs and curves at pretty low resolutions. If you have a curved surface and decided to partition it by single degrees (or some other high value for $fa $fs or $fn) then you are many times more complex than most of that code.

Any way the MatterControl guys (Matterhackers.com) could be much more helpful than most of the people here.

mark tomlinson likes this.