1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Medabots Blank Medal

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Allelujah, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Hello everyone! I am so excited that I finally got my Robo R1+ fixed today that I was able to complete my first print. For those that have seen the cartoon of Medabots or played the games know what this is. Its a blank Medabots Medal (didnt know how to make any of the critters for an actual medal). Here are some pics to show it completed.
    2016-12-21-163406.jpg
    2016-12-21-163703.jpg
    2016-12-21-163721.jpg
    2016-12-21-163732.jpg

Rigmarol and Geof like this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great job. Is this the firat time you made a model ?

3. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Technically yes. I made the model in Tinkercad because it was the closest thing to the controls of Second Life (Which I used to make primitive models of weapons in) So in essence im not really new to modeling but the software i used i was new at. Also started learning how to use the Autodesk Fusion 360 that came with my printer about a week ago so i made some sword designs that i plan on printing in the near future. They will be Gunpla sized for those that know about Gundam Model Kits.

tom1441 likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very cool. Wish my first model looked that good ! Yes I'm pretty versed in gundam :)

Allelujah likes this.
  5. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty XD and yeah I printed this with PLA on medium/ default settings so it turned out much better than my first attempt on my old 3D printer that I got form M3D, so I am very pleased with the purchase of the Robo R1+ and its quality, although frustrating troubles at time lol. And yeah for the Gunpla swords im designing to print, Im not sure how to make them so I wont have to use Support Material besides splitting the model in half and then gluing the halves together. If that made sense lol.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be the best way, make an alignment hole in the model, really helps when glueing :)

Allelujah likes this.
  7. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

What do you mean by an alignment hole? Like a hole in one half and then a small "peg" that fits into the hole on the other half? If im understanding correctly. And I have a question about the forums since your a moderator, Is there a place on the forums where i can post my designs and then later update the post with the finished product? Would like to show people what im working on and get feedback before i start printing stuff. Would like to waste as little filament as possible.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes exactly that. You can also do a 1.75 mm hole on both and use a small piece of filament as the pin.

General discussion or project section would be a good place to start. I can always move the thread for you if needed

9. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Alrighty, Yeah I thought about doing a pin/hole design with my projects but i feel like I would need to use support material for that since the projects i have designed are a lil different than most standard swords lol. And alrighty I will look for the project section and start up a post there. Need to edit a couple of my screenshots though so my second monitor aint showing when i upload the pics.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You may need some supports but it will be on the flat side that you glue so easily shaved or sanded off :)

11. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah, I just dont like the idea of not having to deal with supports if I can get away with it lol But its going to have to be done I suppose if I want a decent print right? XD

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is darn near always a way to do it without supports :). Just have to experiment and fund what works best for you on that specific project ya know

13. Allelujah

Allelujah Member

Yeah I hear ya XD. Also I posted in the projects part of the forum so you should check out those projects i have brewing XD