1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Messy layers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael DiFilippo, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Not really sure what to call this, but I have tried altering temps, speeds, fan on / fan off. This should be 100% fill and it ends up getting stringy in areas and not smooth flat like it should be. Any ideas? This print is PLA.
    image.jpeg

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

You need a better camera o_O

3. Michael DiFilippo

haha I did take it in mid print on my phone but that really is how it looks

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Isn't that ironic : )

Michael, I saw a lot of prints like that with my ultimaker. I bought it used, so who knows what it went through before I got it. There were a number of issues, but I *think* the one that was the root cause had to do with some foreign material or a bur that was stuck in the nozzle.

Did it start looking like this after you ran the laybrick?

The other possible cause for me was filament slipping. Is your hobbed bolt tight? Have you cleaned out the hob lately?

2 people like this.
  5. Michael DiFilippo

This is after the laybrick but I don't know that it was 100% okay prior to that. Maybe I'll try running a bunch of filament through. Also I have noticed a lot of shavings around the hobbed bolt, I think I need to get a more pronounced hobbed bolt (like cambo had pointed out). I have a new one on order so I'll see what happens after I replace it. Thanks guys!

6. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

I had something like this happen. It was because there was a small gap between the object and the print bed in Repiter. The g code was not correct because of it. Take a look at the object in software to ensure there is no gap.

7. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Seshan...hes a pro photographer...hahahaha

8. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Well he should use his good camera then :p

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Approximately what layer is this in the print and is the stringy areas actually fixed to the layer beneath or are they loose

10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Mike, I feel that probably you have the nozzle to high.

2 people like this.
  11. Michael DiFilippo

I notice it tends to happen a few layers in, say 3 or 4th layer. The stringy areas usually protrude higher, they aren't loose but if they dry and I ran my finger over them they typically break off. When I'm around later tonight I'll drop an object on and double check everything and try out a print. Thanks guys

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I can see three possibilities. as Harry thinks the nozzle could be too high( or bed to low) and you may be able to see that by looking at your first layer is generally should be slightly smashed or flattened by the travel of the nozzle if it is too high then eventually this will happen. Carefully look at the first layer it should not be an circle simply on its side it should appear more like an oval on is side almost like the shape of an eye if you could see it head on. If it is too flat then that could also lead to another possibility. Here is where Cambo's z height adjustment comes in real handy simply take a look at the first layer if it is too flat or too thin you can adjust it quickly and restart with having lost a lot of material.

Another thing is I mentioned before is if it is to low it could cause a build up around and in the which could impeed the flow of enough material to make good contact. Raising the nozzle and extruding should identify if there is a clog if so see if it can be cleared and adjust the bed height.

The last thing I think it could be is that normally when printing the last layer to be printed still has warmth to it and when printed on will slightly reshape to accept the newest layer if the last print level got too colld it may harden to the point where it does not allow good bonding of the two layers. Are you using a fan to cool the object if so you may want to turn it lower or off for the first few layers to let some residual heat be retained.

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

did you figure out this issue? micheal

I know you had bed leveling issues before and looks like you still do judging from the uneven layers in your photo.

First and foremost level your bed. Then everything else will be easier to dial in.
    If you don't level the bed, your just compiling onto your problems. Its not gonna fix itself.

14. Michael DiFilippo

haven't had any time to do anything more. I did get the bed pretty level, way more level than it had been previously. I may be able to spend some time on it this upcoming week.

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

how did you level your bed? and what are you using to check levelness?

16. Michael DiFilippo

using a dial indicator with a jig that I printed up and corner/spring system. Much like yours but with springs instead of the "set screw" to raise.

17. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

hmm if you used a dial indicator, your bed should be fairly level and you really shouldn't be seeing what I see above. Is your x axis level?

I leveled my bed with just a piece of regular paper, which gives me about .1mm of spacing. Using a dial indicator should be a lot more accurate.

18. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

I have both a dial indicator and feeler gauges, ill be using the feeler gauges first then print of a bracket for the dial indicator

19. fabrice

fabrice New Member

Hello, after you have a digital comparator, it is indispenssable for a perfect bed?

20. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.