1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

micron 3dp all metal bowden extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CAMBO3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

3 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

that does look pretty nice. maybe I'll get one for my UM. report back on it?

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

$180?!

Is that really worth it over the 35+ stepper for an EZStruder? It looks like the same concept with slightly better teeth drive.

4. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

price didn't bother me. I already have the ezstruder on my rostock and dont like it (bought it when they first came out, one of the first 100) The ezstruder causes the machine to studder during prints because of its direct drive (non geared) design. Never had this problem before with a geared stepper motor. So that's why i'm swapping back to a geared stepper. The all metal cnc machined bowden setup is a bonus for me.

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Will do :)

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

its not the same concept. ezstruder is direct drive from stepper (meaning no gears between the ezstruder and stepper motor). What I have pictured above is a geared stepper. Which generally run more. The cnc machine bowden setup is nice and probably the only one made i've seen.

7. cmanou

cmanou New Member

8. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I've seen those before and I try to stay away from the china made stuff. Don't really have any luck with them. I see these on ebay all the time but no reviews on them and less than desirable feedback.. Maybe that's why they stopped selling on ebay??.. at any rate...That's enough to keep me away from them.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'll see about getting a nema motor with a gearbox for the ezstruder. I just don't think I can justify 360 dollars to run those on my dual bowden setup.

10. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

if you find a geared stepper that will fit the eztruder let me know. I looked and couldnt' find any that would be a direct fit. The steppers that had a matching mount pattern had an offset stepper shaft so that didn't fit. The ones that have the shaft in the center had a round gearbox so no mounting hole from the eztruder fitted etc.... eztruder so far seems to only fit a standard nema 17 with no gearbox.

how do you like your eztruder on your robo now?? If your not having issues don't change it just because..

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

that wont fit the ezstruder for reasons stated prior in post. Mounting holes for the eztruder wont fit it without some custom adapter plate. A little more work than what I want to do. The micron 3dp will be direct bolt on and print.

13. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I'll post my review of the micron 3dp extruder once I receive it. Hopefully it works as advertised.

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You could just print an adapter plate for mounting it on. Not a difficult part and as stated in the prior post I have other ideas to make it work. I simply couldn't afford to spend that much money on something when a 70 dollar solution would be pretty comparably effective. I do like the teethed gear they use but that's about it.

15. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I'd recommend trying your ezstruder first before buying that geared stepper motor.
    No one is forcing you to purchase it. I like and prefer the cnc machined parts.. I never liked having 3d printed parts on my machines especially in critical areas. good luck with your project. Start a thread on it and share your experiences.

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah unfortunately if I could have afforded CNC quality parts I never would have bought a robo in the first place :) Though I guess that explains why you were so quick to sell it.

Reason I would start with a geared motor is I only have 1 nema 17 motor for extrusion (the one already in the printer) so if I need another nema 17 motor might as well get 2 and run it on the ezstruder.

I'm just not sure besides being CNC parts what makes that design substantially better.

17. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. I haven't had any issues with geared extruders but once I swapped over to the ezstruder is when I started having problems. Studdering issues during printing..

Like I said earlier this is the reason I'm swapping back to a geared extruder and the fact that this comes with a cnc machine bowden setup was a bonus for me. Its simple for me to bolt this on and print rather than trying to make adapters for the eztruder to mount with a geared stepper or trying to find gearboxes for steppers I already have, add on gearboxes are not cheap.

Soon as I get the new extruder I'll post some reviews on it. Which is what I intended this thread to be. (not a debate on cost or which one is better than the other etc...)

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

19. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

Finally got around to picking up my new extruder from the post office.
    Looks a lot bigger in the photos than in person. It uses a nema 11 kysan stepper motor with a planetary gearbox. Quality and machine work look excellent.. although I'm not sure I like the design of set screws as an adjustment point for roller the bearing. May replace those with something else.. will see.....

I'll post my thoughts once its all setup..

CIMG2977.JPG
    CIMG2965.JPG
    CIMG2964.JPG

20. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

It looks like the Pico may be pushing me to a bowden setup since the direct drive extruder doesn't have enough torque. I'm tempted by this but am curious as to how it has worked out over the last several months.

Basically, was it worth the money or should I just find a higher torque motor for my EZStruder?