1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mike's Printer is in!

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Michael DiFilippo, Jun 25, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

4 people like this.
  2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Thanks Jeff. I'll get those printed some time today and try them out. Have you used them yet? if so could you post a picture just so I better understand how they go. Thanks again man!

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry Mike my printer is not feeling well right now trying to get it healthy again so I can print them but I can easily walk you through it if you have any issues might need to adjust the files abit to make sure the thing screws together the instruction on thingiverse pretty much cover it though
    Let me know if you do have issues

4. Michael DiFilippo

Okay thanks Jeff. Hope you nurse your printer back to good health!

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks I am like House I am trying to come up with the right diagnosis first lots of variable and lots of conflicting information and test results but like him I won't give up I just hope the patient survives. LOL

6. Michael DiFilippo

just had to do a quick repair.. well what started as a quick repair. The z-stop switch holder was breaking so got the STL file printed a new one and set on replacing it, but one of the leads broke so I had to resolder the wires and re-assemble.

Jeff what happened to your printer if you don't mind me asking?

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Still not sure trying to figure it out

8. Michael DiFilippo

Moved my printer onto a cabinet and wanted a way to easily have my filament handy and out of the way. Had some 3/4" PVC laying around so made up two brackets to hold the PVC in the cabinet. Really simple brackets but hey they work.

Bracket.JPG cabinet1.JPG

Side note, I switched to 1/8" boro glass from 1/4" and WOW the difference is great. PLA prints come off much easier, previously I was always pulling up blue tape and it took a lot of force now with about half the force prints come clean off each time.

9. Michael DiFilippo

My printer sits ontop of a cabinet and because of the way the bed needs room to move I don't want to have to re-adjust where the printer sits on the cabinet any time I touch it (to pull a print, to change filament ect) so I made up corner brackets to hold the printer in place. I should have printed them in white to match, woops. A standard wood screw head (about 8mm) will sit flush in the countersink. IMG_2621.JPG IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2623.JPG

Also uploaded the STL if anyone wants it.

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  10. Henry

Henry New Member

tks.

11. Henry

Henry New Member

Where are the stl files for Robo parts at?

12. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

thingiverse

13. Michael DiFilippo

Well made a few ABS prints today with success. One issue I am having is still with my z-stop. The switch is firm in place but sometimes it is like the carriage doesn't make clean contact with it. I plan to add a set screw for better adjustment and for better contact. I'll post pictures once I get a screw long enough. Also have some springs on the way so I will be working on a leveling setup as well with a dial indicator carriage in the works. I don't want to lose the additional height but i do want my prints as good as possible

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well I think I am on a good track and think I go it all resolved working with Cambo , Harry and Coby to try and figure it out it was a tough one turns out I had two issues and when those two issues cmaeinto play they created other things that made me thin k we had other issues

No my print surface is the birchwood the PCB heater and teh blue tape and I am only using PLA at this point
    so my first prints went alright and then they just stopped working nothing could be set up properly. it looked as if I had a clogged nozzle because I could see the gears turn but no filament came out.during a print but extruded normally during a print it would start and stop for no visible reason I could see tore open teh hot end and made sure it was clean and not melted or anything like that the PEEK was all good teh PTFE tube was in good shape. If I opened up where you put the filament in I saw dust and powder on the hobbed bolt thought that may be getting clogged and simply letting the filament slip but that dust just blew out nice and clean next print same start and stop checked both side of teh xaxis to make sure the z stop switch was being activated at the right time and that the bed was level using the businees card on each side. couldn't think of anything else.

during a large print I saw a pattern forming and what it was is that I had high and low spots on the bed not just level along x and y but just high and low all over and that was teh biggest issue when I tried to get the bed level with the business cards I just made things worse which is why everything went to crap so fast
    my soultion was to take a single reading right in the middle of the bed since that is where most prints would be printed anyway used that and then with Cambos help we I installed his design for making the z stop much more reliant and adjustable not it is stationary and you do the adjustments with a screw any way the single measurement for the bedlevelness and the zstop adjust allowed my to fine tune everything and as long as my print are in tehat smaller area I should be fine until I get my boro and heater to utilize a more stable bed. this is my latest print which will be finished by about 7:30 tomorrow morning so yo may not beable totell what it is but it has had not had any mistakes yet
    2013-07-04 21.37.52.jpg
    pics a little blurry but this is at 27 layers into it at 250 microns no stringing at all it is really amazing after what I have been seeingfor the last week look for the result tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ask Cambo about his z stop fix it does GREAT job and is pretty simple to setup does require taking the top off but it works so well its worth it

2 people like this.
  16. Michael DiFilippo

Glad you were able to get her back up and running Jeff! Yes I plan to do the same thing as Cambo with the fine adjustment screw. I really hope once I do that and get the bed levelers going I am good to go, I will be a bit upset if I end up having to go with a kapton heater and such.

17. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Yeah, I'd hate to have to spend more on kapton heater, I'd rather spend it on a new hot end :p Is the bowing of the PCB heater because it expands and is securely attached to the bed so it has no choice but to flex? I wounder if attaching it so it has room to move a bit would solve that.

18. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I very rarely used heat on my prints only after the issue started did I even try heat with PLA and that was only in search of a solution which is wasn't. So all I know is when i printed in certain areas at height X, I would see one of two things normally I would see it extruding normally or I wouldn't. Now if the the patterns I saw were linear then the bed was uneven on the same axis as that linear pattern if it was diagonal it would be both. What I saw was off and on off and on in the same direction which meant I was having high spots and lo spots at the same time. That is what caused me to rethink how I could resolve it.
    My solution is not permanent as they still exists but now since my prints are usually centered I focus my height/z stop setting right where I will be printing and much of the error I saw before is eliminated and I get good quality prints again. The boroglass will probably help significantly to diminish the variances I saw so you may not have the issues only without that glass, I would think, will this ever be noticeable.

19. Michael DiFilippo

Just did some bed leveling and I think I got it pretty good. using the dial indicator seemed to work a little bit, i can't get all the corners to match and worse than that the middle seems to be bowed as the middle reading is never the same as the corner readings. Doing a calibration print now though to see how it comes out. I can live with better, and not 100% perfect.

I also got in laywood and laybrick today and still have to attempt some prints with nylon. I did cut down my 12x12 garolite board to 10x10 so i can use it for the nylon.

20. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Yo Jeff. Any what you could post a pic of these on your printer. I'm not 100% sure where the go. Are the replacing the mounts between the rails and wood?