1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved misc parts for robo r1+

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by eric tobin, Sep 5, 2017.

1. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

where can I get misc. parts, heater blocks, hotends, stepper motors etc

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hotends yes, but you can't buy the exact one :) Steppers you can buy, parts for the stock hotends? Not so much.

The hexagon Robo uses has a slightly custom canister style thermistor and it is not the exact same as one you buy elsewhere.

The RAMPS in the R1+ is also slightly customized (but can be converted back).

I usually use Amazon.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The Hexagon Hotend was designed by Reprapdiscount, but it appears that they do not exercise any control (or very little) on how it was to be implemented. On the reprap wiki page Robo3D is listed as a distributor but if you look around Aleph (lulzbot) chose to add a plate to hold in the thermistor in place. Robo decided to encase the thermistor in a 3 mm brass tube, Reprapdiscount have left is it as they originally designed it.

With some very careful searching you can find a few listings of thermistors that will fit on places like AliExpress. I have no knowledge as to whether or not these are suitable for the job, just that they may be available.

Take Mark's advice on the RAMPS board. there was little to no reason to create a proprietary board that offered no apparent increase in reliability or features to replace something like the generic RAMPS/Arduino that is readily available and cheap from a number of sources.

Fans are fans and a difference between one that is listed at 0.6 A or 0.7 A won't make any difference to the printer.

Bed heater is a different story, you can go too big. RAMPS only has 11 A available @ 12 V to supply the bed heater, so it will by design be relatively small and shouldn't exceed 130 W, without additional circuitry.

Steppers usually can be categorized by size. Steppers of the same physical size generally have the same or close to the same ratings.

#3 WheresWaldo, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some of those will not fit, check the sizes. I have a few of those varieties and have tested them so when I say they won't fit ...
    :)

I have not tried them all so --- check the sizes.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Probably the best bet is to dump the Hexagon and go with a real E3Dv6.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. eric tobin

eric tobin Member

thank you all for your input and help, I have lots to research and learn, thanks again

Geof likes this.