1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Montravont's Printer

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Montravont, May 8, 2014.

1. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Got my printer setup. First print didn't go so well as I didn't have something quite right. There was an error in the file I used and I'm pretty sure I had some settings not quite right.

IMG_5115.JPG

The second print came out much better. Overall it was a good print, but I didn't set it to have enough bottom or top layers and the first layer didn't go down quite right. I'm still working on getting either Cura or Slic3r to actually use the z offset for the printer so it will raise up from the bed enough to lay down a good starting layer.

IMG_5118.JPG IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5117.JPG

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're having some infill issues. Can you try again with like a 50% infill?

I think it also might be beneficial for you to calibrate your extrusion rate. Using a light colored filament mark it at the entry to the extruder. Have it extruder 50-100mm. Mark the filament again, then pull out the filament and measure the difference.

3. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

looks like top and bottom layers are not set high enough maybe. try increase the numbers of top solid ways and bottom ones to 3 and see if it helps.

4. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

The Cube was at 50% infill, the ear plugs I think I left at 10% on accident.

For the cube I also realized this morning that I had changed the number of top and bottom layers in the settings of Slic3r, but had forgotten to save the settings before slicing and saving the G-Code.

The extrusion rate might partially be due to the same issue as Slic3r was defaulted to 3mm filament. I changed it to the 1.75, but again.. forgot to save these settings prior to slicing.

If I have time tonight I'll try to do the extrusion calibration you (Mike) mentioned and I'll run the cal cube again with the settings actually saved.

5. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

take you time with all the settings and make sure you save them! :p

6. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Yeah. I felt so stupid this morning. I went in to the office before work and realized I hadn't shut down Slic3r. Clicked to close it and it gave an error message about having unsaved changes.

*Facepalm, Doh! Situation*

"So that's why it didn't print the 4 top and bottom layers I told it to...."

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What plugin did you use to define the z height offset?

8. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

I ended up not using the plugin. I just set the initial height layer to 1.2 and it seems to have run fine. I'll check the final print when I get back home. I may need to step it back down some to get the perfect first layer.

9. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Latest Cal Cube. 3rd item to ever come off my printer.

The ridging appears to be mostly gone and I actually got a pretty decent first layer. The only real ridging appeared on the back side where the fan was hitting it, not sure if there's a correlative there.

Not sure what happened on the front and left side. IMG_5119[1].JPG

Attached Files:

10. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

The weird effect looks like your filament settings are wrong. Are sure sure you set it to 1.75? Is the actual plastic 1.75 and have you experimented with diffrent temperatures?

11. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Yep. Set to 1.75, haven't measured the filament yet, but it's the basic blue from robo for calibration. I've only run it 190 so far. I'll implement any suggestions tomorrow. At the hospital waiting for news on my dad ATM.

12. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

good luck

13. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

14. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Update Time!

I've had the printer for just shy of two weeks. I can say that I'm completely happy with the purchase. After getting used to the settings and how they affect things and printing a few upgrade parts (the stabilizers mostly) I've gone from the ear plugs in my first post to this:

Neo1.jpg

Neo2.jpg

The only real issues I had with this print aren't related to the printer actually having any faults. I had a piece of blue filament land on the hot-end while removing my previous print and it melted, flowed down and contaminated this print in a few places. Nothing major, but notable. Other than that Only the fact that I had my Z-Hop on retraction set a touch to low and the fact that Cura doesn't have an option for Z-Offset kept this from being a nearly perfect print.

Z-offset, however, will be fixed by using the XXL LCD and I've already adjusted the Z-Hop.

Onward and upward.

(The print is a NeoGeo game cartridge that my friend @ArthG designed from scratch in Sketchup)

3 people like this.
  15. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

16. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

That last print really show a big space between the filament. I wonder if something went wrong with the slicing program. Did you use Slic3r?

Cans you print anything else that is off thingiverse successfully? Print something that will have a full pattern such as a pistol grip. It's very strange as I've been on this forum and have not seen that before.

Check out this post I found, it might help the situation in diagnosing the problem

http://rapmanv3.blogspot.ca/2009/05/print-problems.html#!/2009/05/print-problems.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Today I finally started using the printer again for the first time since we moved.

I decided "What the hell... I'm gonna try my first ABS print." Here are the results. Not bad for my first ABS run, even if it is a small object.

IMG_20141025_153147.jpg

IMG_20141025_153200.jpg

IMG_20141025_153210.jpg

IMG_20141025_153243.jpg

3 people like this.
  19. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Horde emblem for a friend. IMG_20141220_084732.jpg IMG_20141220_084747.jpg IMG_20141220_084728.jpg

2 people like this.
  20. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Yoda printed with a .25mm nozzle at .1mm layer height... small enough to fit on a dime. I'll get some better images with my macro lens soon. Needs some cleanup, but, considering the size and that I printed it at 70mm/s, I don't think it's half bad.

Yoda.jpg

Yoda No Macro.jpg

2 people like this.