1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Moving the Robo R1 printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I have the newer Robo R1 printer with the enclosed bottom. I have also added a XXL Controller, the XXL is not attached to the printer, it just lays in front on top of the desk. I am looking for comments, suggestion, and if possible pictures on how people are moving these printers. I need to move it at least once a week, so I need something stronger and longer lasting than the original box it came in. Any ideas on how to secure the heater bed, the extruder, and anything else that may move would be greatly appreciate.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Robert,

I think I mentioned much of this before. I teach some classes and transport the printer in the back of my minivan all the time.

1) Lock the Z axis in place with two of the Z-lock clips here (zlass.stl) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:280356. They are simple and work great.

2) Lock the X axis somehow. I just stick some bubble wrap between the rails but a lock similar to the Z-locks a above would be a great idea. I will try to modify the one above for the X width when I get a chance and post it.

3) Put a strip of 2" wide blue painters tape along the front and rear bed with the ends stuck on the frame. Bring a roll for the return trip.

4) If your XXL is hanging free then put some bubble wrap around it and place it on the bed. I suggest getting a longer 25" ribbon cable and attaching it to the top like mine. Then it can easily fit into the original box after trimming the styrofoam a bit.

5) I highly recommend that you add upper Z axis support brackets if you don't already have them. They will help prevent the lower Z brackets from cracking. I have some simple to attach ones here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:516394.

6) If you use your printer for classes I suggest using a side mount filament holder. It is too easy for students to knock off the top mounted spools which will invariably smash the bed to pieces. Also throw out the original Robo3D holder. This is my design for a much more robust one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:516790

7) I usually don't bother putting the printer in it's box for transport but it is probably a good idea.

#2 SteveC, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

The next time you setup your printer could you take a picture. Not sure where you attach the Z lock clips. The newer ROBO R1 have Z axis support build into the frame. Thanks for the response.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

The Z lock clips are really simple. Just lower the Z axis so the nozzle is an inch or so about the bed. Clip one side of the holder to the smooth Z rod just above the Z bearing on the right side. Then rotate it so it clips onto the Z threaded rod. Then do this to the other side. This will immobilize both sides of the Z axis. I printed them in ABS so the snap on portion is a bit flexible.
    IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2431.JPG

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.