1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My fillament gets stuck in the hotend and jams during prints?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kirk, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirk

Kirk Member

My filament is continually getting jammed in my hot end mid print. I can remove the jam, reefed the filament back through until it starts extruding but during the print it jams again and when I pull the jammed section out its all crunched up from having nowhere to go and the hobbed bolt has chewed a groove into it? this has been happening every time?

any thoughts?

Very aggravating not to be able to print even when it wants to.....

2. Bim

Bim New Member

Do you have a way to sense the temperature of the extruder besides the software? Mine started doing that and I checked the temperature and found it to be much different that the software was telling me. This would mean the temperature sensor, the thermistor, has gone bad and would need to be replaced. Simple to change out as it is under the rubber hood covering the extruder housing, just pull it out and unsnap from the connection on the opposite side. Good Luck! They cost about $10 on E-Bay.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  4. Kirk

Kirk Member

It is very hot.

I pull the filament out cut it and when I get it back through it comes right out the end melted.

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

I did take the hotend out yesterday and checked the channel from the Hobbed bolt down and that it's clear but when I checked the hotend itself it seemed to have little bottle next about a 1/4 inch before making it to the very tip... Could the end of the white tube be melted a little and curled in?

6. Kirk

Kirk Member

I did get a print to work... I turned the heat up5 degrees to 215c but that could have also been a coincidence?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Perhaps. If PLA continues to be problematic season the hotend periodically or install an oiler.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well that's normal if the hot end is hot. I'm wondering about the heatsink part that has a fan blowing on it.

9. William

William New Member

I was getting clogs then I made my hobbed bolt get better traction and that helped, but the thing that solved it for me was getting the e3d v6 hotend. The main advantage is the teflon tube that extends down to the hot part. I'm not sure if you could adapt that to yours. But, all my issues with clogging were solved with that hotend.

2 people like this.
  10. miksane

miksane New Member

What hot end v6 do I order? the 12 or 24, in 1.75mm??

11. William

William New Member

12 volt, 1.75 mm. When you install it, make sure the teflon tube goes as far in as possible; that's really the reason it doesn't clog.

2 people like this.
  12. miksane

miksane New Member

Thanks dude.

13. William

William New Member

You may know this, but the fan that comes with it that blows on the heat sink should be connected to power so that when the printer comes on, that fan blows. It's a lot quieter than previous versions.

14. lemuba

lemuba Active Member

Since I use the E3D v6 Hotend with the PTFE Tube I had more more jams in the hotend...certainly an investment which counts back and solves a lot of trouble.

15. William

William New Member

Is is possible the tube wasn't installed all the way? Or maybe the fan isn't cooling it enough? Certainly what works for some doesn't work for all. I haven't oiled or seasoned it at all and have at least 70 hours of printing with no jams.

16. Brian Clough

Brian Clough New Member

little bit off topic, but do you need an adapter to mount an E3D hot end to the stock x-carriage? Just wondering, haven't looked into a whole lot yet

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, it will mount right in.

18. Brian Clough

Brian Clough New Member

Excellent, my stock hot end self destructed last night. At least It'll be an easy upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.