1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA My first test with ESUN Filament

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Bjorn, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Bjorn

Bjorn Member

Since im a modelcrafter, I order most of my stuff at www.hobbyking.com

For a short time now hobbyking started to sell 3D printer parts, and filament.
    The filament brand they sell is ESUN, and its very cheap.
    They have various filaments in stock, ABS, PLA Flexibles at really low prices compared to other "cheap" filament here in the netherlands.

So I ordered some 0.5kg spools of PLA to play with..

It came really nice boxed/packed:
    2014-12-23 19.57.37.jpg
    2014-12-23 19.57.50.jpg
    First test with Purple PLA:
    Layer height 0.15mm, Nozzle Diamater 0.3mm, Slicer: Cura
    Hotend: E3D V6 @ 195 degrees.

I am really impressed.
    This came out with my normal settings for other PLA, just adjusted to the right temperature.,

2014-12-24 13.58.48.jpg

#1 Bjorn, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2014
  2. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

wow that colour and print look great Thanks for sharing

3. Bjorn

Bjorn Member

And this is Natural PLA

Printed @ 200 degrees 0.1mm layer.

2014-12-28 13.59.37.jpg

11 people like this.
  4. Vkial

Vkial Member

For me Esun filament is just the best filament i ever used so far in France he's very cheap and the result are pretty good.

5. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

#5 Galaxius, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Slow

Slow New Member

Hobbyking's shipping could be high for some locations. You can find Esun filament on amazon too.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I have a few eSun filaments.. good stuff on good spools. But.. it almost all is. I find sainsmart to be a bit fragile.. but.. could be those batches.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to revive this older thread to add my thoughts. I love eSun filaments, they are all available with Amazon Prime and their PETG is just super easy to print with. PLA I was having a lot of trouble with, I sat down today and spent about two hours tweaking my slicer settings and finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was using a a 210° extrusion temperature that was recommended in the forum here and I never got a good print. I finally started lowering the extrusion temperature little by little and I am now printing fairly well at 200°, but I think I am actually going to go lower. The PLA from eSun seems to have a range that favors the lower end of their suggestions. Anything over about 215° and it starts to crackle, at 230°, the max recommended,it is bubbling. I don't think I would recommend anyone print this particular filament over 205°C. Just for clarity I am using a E3Dv6 with a .4 nozzle.

9. apwolf

apwolf Member

I have two spools of the petg sitting on my desk maybe I'll try it today. It looks super cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@apwolf Just make sure yo do not over extrude, PETG loves to stick to itself and it will build around the nozzle, eventually burn, then deposit the small charred blob into your model in a very visible location. So keep an eye on the extrusion multiplier. Secondly, go slow, especially if making a lot of direction changes, PETG just doesn't like to turn (I am speaking mostly of support. It needs to extrude slow.

Build a test hollow box and edit the gcode so that every 5 mm or so in height the temp increases 5 degrees, you will see a point where the PETG starts to crystallize and cloud up, at that point your extrusion temperature is too high.The crystallization does not seem to harm the strength, but you loose all the clarity of the finished part, unless of course you like that crystallized look.

One more note, on solid objects it is much darker than you expect and a lot less translucent. For what it's worth on really small parts I get better clarity on 100% infill. Big parts once you are at three perimeters or more, you can forget about seeing the outline of the support structures. Also top and bottom over 2 layers and it is too opaque to see the support through it. At least that is my experience with the Red and Blue, the Natural can increase those by 1. I have not tried the Green or Orange, I have an Orange roll coming tomorrow. You can get away with these minimal perimeters if your part will be under compression with no shear forces acting on it.

11. apwolf

apwolf Member

i printed my test puck last night after struggling with the thermistor for an hour lol
    it turned out really nice 43mm/s 230C & 85C
    i do need to get my fan duct on there soon so i can do overhangs properly

12. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I have never printed with any PLA over 220c. Justpla likes it at 200c. All other i normally print at 196c with 0 issues. Hell Shaxon brand filament i have printed at 188c just fine.