1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My R1 Plus addons - highly recommended for new printers

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Coach Tom, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

I purchased a R1 Plus in August for home and a second R1 Plus in September at work. Since then I have made several updates thanks to Marquis Johnson, his youtube videos as "NoviceExpert" and another "Nerdgasm" and this forum which Mike Kelley has many awesome mods here as well.

My most useful addon is the Raspberry Pi w wifi and webcam using Octoprint and many many plugins. I am able to remotely control print jobs, see progress, view videos of build, and even get a text or email with a pic of the print.
    [​IMG]

Here's my follow up w pics for the XXL smart LCD display controller. It's awesome and well worth the $60 from printedsolid.com. Also shown is a RaspberryPi for my Octoprint w wifi stick to control my printer.

The Pi case was a tweak I made from another pi case at thingiverse.com.. see http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1063292

I have the same setup w my work printer. However, I am using a full graphics smart LCD display controller from eBay for $35 on my second Robo3D R1 plus. It works great too but does not look quite as good as the XXL display.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The filament holder holds 2 or 3 rolls and can easily pops off and insert another roll in seconds. It's available on thingiverse.com.. athttp://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1064237

[​IMG]

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Like the LCD upgrades, best thing I ever did to mine, also. Like the riser feet, but I am partial to my version. Raspberry Pi and Octoprint is the next biggest bang for the buck upgrade I did. But not so keen on the spool holder, just saying.

3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Yea you may want to do something with spool holder, it is not fun if you have a catch in the spool and it breaks off and hits the bed and breaks the glass, seen it happen many times, so I moved the spool to the wall mount. Just my 2cents.

4. Coach Tom

Coach Tom New Member

Thanks.

Yes, I actually have modded it a small bit for a tighter fit and the legs snaps into the printer case very tight and will not easily come off without force. The pic shown was of a first print and looks like it''s not firm. I've tried many design without bearings and just was not satisfied. Either case, this has worked great for me.

I also have just uploaded yet another tool holder which works for me at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1081548
    Maybe someone has a use as well as me.

Enjoy all!

20151020_075107.jpg 20151020_075228.jpg 20151020_082759.jpg 20151020_082809.jpg

Truerobotech likes this.
  5. janot928

janot928 Active Member

nice setup man