1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Need help setting up the gcode

Discussion in 'Software' started by WarDarkFox, Jan 19, 2016.

1. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

Everything is set up but I need to tell the printer to print a line of filament before moving on to print the parts. It is a few seconds before the filament comes out on my prints at the moment which has led to supports or rafts to not take. I using cura

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just tell the slicer to use a skirt. That will print an outline around your actual print.

3. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

Yeah that isn't a problem when printing without the raft/brim, but if I choose either of those in cura it disables the skirt

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Rafts and brims are larger than the actual model, so I am not sure I see the value in skirt and brim or skirt and raft at the same time. I think that is likely the same response you will get from Diab (the main Cura developer) if you ask him directly over in the Ultimaker forums. I bet he will tell you to make the brim wider.

5. Sloan32

Sloan32 Member

I agree with @WheresWaldo . When you use the raft for example the only thing your loosing is about 1 inch of the outside part of the raft. This doesn't affect the raft in any way. For a brim all you need to do is increase the brim count!

6. afat08

afat08 Member

I understand what you are saying. It's not laying that first layer of the raft/brim because your machine isn't extruding material yet? Therefore, the raft/brim dislodges and creates a mess of material correct?

If so, do you know anything about gcode? Like reading or writing it? You can easily add in to extrude "X" amount of material right before it starts to print. If I'm not mistaken, cura has a setting that does this already, maybe you could up that to more extrusion...I'm on my phone now but when I get to my laptop I'll look for ya. Correct me if I'm wrong with what you are trying to accomplish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. afat08

afat08 Member

In Cura, in your "start gcode", the line that says "G1 F200 E3" change that to something like "G1 F200 E6". You can increase or decrease that number until it is fine tuned to your application.

Granted, I am very new to 3D printing. But that is where I would start.

8. WarDarkFox

WarDarkFox New Member

huh i don't have that specific line in my gcode. all I have is

G28
    M565 Z-0.68 ;Define offset, this may need adjusting
    G29 ;run autolevel routine
    G92 E0 ;
    G1 Z5 F5000 ;

i will add and give it a try