1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Direct Drive Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by James Harry, Feb 16, 2016.

1. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

Well, New is a relative term. I've taken the "Rsilvers" direct drive extruder (with geared stepper) that I used a variant of on my delta and paired it with @Mike Kelly 's modular X carriage design. Made for an E3D v6 to snap in without the need for additional screws.

First test print with some crappy ABS, but pretty darn close to what I want. Probably one more test with some mods and then it will be time to swap it out and give it a try!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 James Harry, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Mike Kelly and supinemonkey like this.
  2. supinemonkey

supinemonkey New Member

That is cool. Is the carriage mod your design? I like the modularity.

3. James Harry

#3 James Harry, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    supinemonkey likes this.
  4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's rad! what drive gear are you using? I like to see people coming up with unique ideas for my designs

5. James Harry

I'm using a SDP/SI spur gearS10T05M022S0508 for the drive on a Kysan stepper with 5.18:1 planetary reduction gear. I actually pulled the motor out of my delta, which is using the same extruder, but set up in a bowden format. I was going to adapt the original X carriage, but I saw your modular chassis and like that better. BTW, I also drew up and printed an adapter to allow the existing Gregs Wade set up to work with the modular carriage in case someone wanted to switch out the carriage but not ready to switch the extruder. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1280119
    [​IMG]

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I actually looked at that style, but didn't like how high the nozzle would end up being relative to the fans, so I came up with something that currently @Schlomo is testing for me

7. James Harry

This could certainly be adjusted downward a bit, but I don't print in PLA so the fan position wasn't really on my mind.

I'd love to see your other design if you are wiling to share. Really looking for a geared direct drive without a hobbed bolt.

SPyKER and Mike Kelly like this.