1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New Generic Ramps 1.4 Board Z axis voltage setting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lee, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Member

I recently installed a new generic Ramps 1.4 board on my Robo 3d R1+ following the excellent instruction provided in:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

In another listing I saw voltages the of the original Robo of:
    X: .598
    Y: .379
    Z: .472
    E: .339

I set the voltages to .48 on all of them. The problem is the Z Axis. Since the driver now has 2 steppers running off one driver, what should the voltage be set at? Since the current is dividing, should I set it at about .9? My concern is that the driver is rated at 2 amps (with cooling and heat sink) and running the voltage at .9 would put it pretty close to the 2 amp max. Am I missing something?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No, leave it around .5, only change the potentiometer if you are experiencing missed steps or chattering when moving the Z axis.

3. Lee

Lee Member

I should have mentioned that the Z steppers are just barely working. The extruder assembly goes up a couple of inches and then hangs unless I push up gently with my finger. How about if I just increase the voltage to about .6 or .7. I wanted to find out what any of you have set your voltage to before I just start cranking up until it works. I think everyone would benefit from having a recommended voltage point. I am guessing we all going to be using generic ramps boards at some point since the original ramps boards are no longer available.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Make small adjustments, you need it to be barely in the correct range to keep the stepper driver cool

Geof likes this.
  5. Lee

Lee Member

Thank you for your suggestions. I have set it .6V and it is working fine. On a short print Z stepper driver ran cool. I'll try a long print and and post the results. But it will be a few days before I can do that. Thanks again

Geof likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

7. Lee

Lee Member

I have been doing a good bit of printing and all steppers are working fine. Thank you all for your help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.