1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved New nozzle, S3D, Titan, and random blobs

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Terry Reilley, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Hi guys, long time no post!

I've had my R1+ for two years this Christmas and about a year ago, installed a Titan extruder and a v6. Haven't had a clog since - until last week, argh. The clog was bad enough to require that I remove the hotend, heat up the heat block, and pull the filament out. While doing this I noted that the clear lid on the Titan had some cracks in it, so I ordered new parts from Tim at Filastruder. While I was ordering, I decided to go ahead and order a new nozzle because mine had been around the block a few times and I decided to upgrade to the copper nozzle. Everything went back together nicely and then after setting my bed leveling, I started printing a project I need for Christmas. And then disaster set in...

While printing this LED edge-lit stand that I created in Fusion, some strange "blobbing" occurred, both on the sides and the top of the print. Swapped filament out for a new roll that I had lying around and printed a test cube - same thing. Checked belt tension, which gave me the nice twang so I know that's not it. Raised extruder 100mm and extruded about 50mm of filament and it looked good. I'm stumped because I've never seen this issue with my Titan/v6 combo. It literally worked perfectly after installation other than extrusion calibration, which I did months ago.

Ignore the wrinkle on image 0318, as I pulled it up before it had a chance to cool down. Also note that not only did I have blobbing on the sides and top of 0319, but note the layer shifts.

Printing PLA at 210 degrees (same as always) using S3D. About to try another slicer just for S&G, but I think this is a hardware issue that I'm overlooking. The carriage seems solid and the hot end/extruder is secure, so I'm stumped.

Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you are slightly over-extruding sometimes the excess pushed around will collect around the edges of the nozzle, then when it "gets caught" on the print it will deposit there. It could also be retraction settings that are too low, Really a number of things could need just a slight change in a single setting. Go to the visual troubleshooting page on the Simplify3D website and look at the picture. Once you find a match for your symptoms, follow their recommendations to fix it.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

The guide works no matter what slicer you use, although the names of the settings might not be an exact match, most slicers now allow nearly all these things to be set.

Terry Reilley and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As an additional note this video will show you how to calibrate the extruder and cure over/under extrusion.

4. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Thanks Mark! I've seen this video and it's the exact one I used to calibrate my extruder!

I actually found the problem! The nozzle and heat block were loose, even after I thought I had tightened them properly. Went through this entire process and now it's extruding properly and the banding has disappeared, yay.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

That was the first place I looked last night before posting this morning- those guides are the bomb. Thanks!

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.