1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

New Printer Bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Trevor C, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

2. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

And can I use something else like blue tape in the meantime until I can get the BuildTak sheet?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, experiment away. The blue painters tape is what a lot of folks use pm the R1/R1+ style (which does not have a PEI sheet)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The actual covering is supposed top be Buildtak so it is intended as the build platform. I also did not get the extra sheet even though the included packing slip listed one. For some materials it will stick too good, such as polycarbonate or nylon. For those types of materials you should coat the build area in some sort of release agent. Most people like glue stick because it is easy to apply, but any type of PVA glue (watered down white glue for example) should work.

5. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

I get the impression from mails with HQ that the bed already has the buildtak on it. I was just surprised to see the screws that's all.

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

They notched around all the socket head screws, that aren't ever removed by the way. It is a weird design decision.

7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Yeah, it is weird, but maybe they were afraid that a customer could introduce air bubbles if they had not notched those out.
    The way it is, when replacing the Buildtak sheet, it is very easy to NOT get bubbles under the sheet. I could imagine that if there was only a solid sheet all the way to the edges, there would be many opportunities to get an air bubble under the Buildtak where the screw holes are recessed, and cause uneven print surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#7 supercazzola, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Don't really think that is an issue given the thickness of the BuildTak and how stiff the material is.